Red Baldy Program

Help Support CattleToday:

Lfdfireman

Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Kansas
I am beginning the slow trek into the Red Baldy program between the Amer. Red Angus Association the American Hereford Association. Would be interested in networking with folks who are working this program or are looking into it. I'll be running Red Angus bull with polled Hereford cows. Feel free to drop me a line, would like to share strategies and methods. Thanks!
 

bird dog

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
2,398
Reaction score
572
Location
Navarro County, Texas
It seems to a really good cross for moderate size cows. The few that I have, have dark pimented eyes and weigh about 1150.
They are reliable calvers and take care of their young. Mine have been bred to angus and usually throw black motley faced calves. They won't be the biggest calves in the group but do well at the sale.

If I had my choice though, for my area I would rather have Santa Gertrudis cows with a Hereford bull.
 
OP
L

Lfdfireman

Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Kansas
TennesseeTuxedo said:
I have a Red Angus bull and and half dozen RA cows along with a dozen Hereford cows. I really like the look of a red baldy. Most of the herd is straight Black Angus.

The numbers thus far from both breed associations show tremendous potential whether selling as replacement heifers or for feeders. I've found with the Herefords/Reds, they tend to graze more frequently thru the summers here when our Black Angus will spend more time laying in the shade rather than eating.
 

snoopdog

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2017
Messages
1,810
Reaction score
164
Location
ne oklahoma
I've been sort of gravitating towards the American red program, not as a seedstock producer mind you. We've kept some of our RA sired heifers and are happy with their performance. Used a gert bull on some charlay heifers years ago and they were whoppers, but a gert and a hereford is a cross about anywhere, I would think
 
OP
L

Lfdfireman

Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Kansas
I would agree with you. We ran polled Herefords for decades and then about 25 years ago my dad got a wild idea to sell them and bring on Black Angus. I've always wanted to go back to Herefords and the red baldy program just jumped out at me. I have always been equally impressed with Red Angus cows as well.
 

76 Bar

Well-known member
Joined
May 15, 2012
Messages
1,612
Reaction score
218
Location
South Western Oregon
Lfdfireman said:
I am beginning the slow trek into the Red Baldy program between the Amer. Red Angus Association the American Hereford Association. Would be interested in networking with folks who are working this program or are looking into it. I'll be running Red Angus bull with polled Hereford cows. Feel free to drop me a line, would like to share strategies and methods. Thanks!
The RA x Hereford cross is a logical choice and especially if you retain your own replacements. Don't believe the conventional wisdom that calves have to be black to bring a premium. The RAAA research and my own experience with registered RA since 1989 has proven otherwise. Good luck on your journey!
 

ccr

ranch hand
Joined
Jul 6, 2017
Messages
846
Reaction score
274
Location
ne texas
Not sure what the end game is here. Is the cross program to produce crossbred commercial females to breed to a Red Angus or a Hereford or another breed, for a 3-way cross? Not sure why a person would want to be involved with either association to breed Red Baldies.

We currently have 10 Red Angus cows bred to a Hereford bull. The sire and dams are registered, but we are not planning on being involved in the Red Baldy Program. How much does it cost and what is the benefit?
 

Ky hills

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2016
Messages
4,253
Reaction score
2,115
Location
Clark County, KY
ccr said:
Not sure what the end game is here. Is the cross program to produce crossbred commercial females to breed to a Red Angus or a Hereford or another breed, for a 3-way cross? Not sure why a person would want to be involved with either association to breed Red Baldies.

We currently have 10 Red Angus cows bred to a Hereford bull. The sire and dams are registered, but we are not planning on being involved in the Red Baldy Program. How much does it cost and what is the benefit?

I’m not sure I understand what the end result is supposed to be either, given that Herefords have CHB.
 

bird dog

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
2,398
Reaction score
572
Location
Navarro County, Texas
The end game in my opinion is to sell more Hereford bulls and heifers. The straight bred Hereford has lost some of its popularity and the organization realize that their breed is maybe better as a cross bred. Cross the cows with a Brahman or black angus, cross the bulls with a RA or a gert. Any of these make a better animal.
 

cbcr

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2011
Messages
503
Reaction score
28
Location
West Central Missouri
With the Red Baldy Program, is either association offering to register them? Are they looking at 50/50 crosses or are they looking at another percentage?

For years the Hereford x Angus has been a great cross, the Hereford x Red Angus should be no different.

Of course the Black Hereford as a breed has been growing the last several years. Why would'nt a Hereford x Red Angus work just as well.
 
OP
L

Lfdfireman

Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
NE Kansas
cbcr said:
With the Red Baldy Program, is either association offering to register them? Are they looking at 50/50 crosses or are they looking at another percentage?

For years the Hereford x Angus has been a great cross, the Hereford x Red Angus should be no different.

Of course the Black Hereford as a breed has been growing the last several years. Why would'nt a Hereford x Red Angus work just as well.

One of the great benefits of this particular program is that both the cows and bulls used must meet certain standards as set forth by each breed association. This allows for the maximum capitalization on a variety of areas from milking ability, carcass traits etc. These replacement heifers will make ideal additions to any commercial herd as the bulls can as well or they'll be excellent feed lot candidates to produce top quality American beef.
 
Top