Red Baldy Program

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH

Reaction score
Found this press release interesting: https://hereford.org/2018/02/leading-be ... y-program/

As a Hereford guy when looking at other breeds I have felt that the Red Angus have been ahead of the game when it comes to cross breeding. I still think that you can't top a good F1 Black Baldy cross with mating a good purebred Hereford bull with a good purebred Angus female. My in-laws have spent a lot of money over the years on good Red Angus bulls as they seem to cross well with every combination of crossbred females they have so it's interesting to see that the Hereford Association is now going to actively market red baldy and black baldy. Black baldy cattle in our market is bringing a good price but anything with a red hide is still discounted at the sale barn so I don't get the angle with this. Our purebred Hereford bulls mostly sell to commercial cattlemen who have mostly Angus influence females and several of them have come back to buy another bull after seeing the results. I'm just surprised with this partnership because red hides usually result in a discount at the sale barn so while a Red Angus cross with a Hereford may produce a well performing calf the red hide will still likely take a discount at the sale barn,

You can thank AAA for the black Hide premium.....masterful marketing. Hopefully the RAA will counter with an effective means to counterbalance what seems at times a ridiculous discount. In GA, I'd rather have a slick, red hided cow over black. But coat quality, IMO, is more important than color. I have a crop of red baldies being born to registered Herefords this year as an experiment to produce breeding stock for my replacement heifer program. Sons should fetch a premium in the grass finished sector, or maybe someone will make a bull in the group.

We live in the Texas Panhandle where Black Angus has ruled the day for a long time. We do have some Black Angus cows but a few years back bought a group of RA bred heifers. IMO they perform a little better in the summer months here, as do the red bulls. When our black bull is in the shade all day our red bulls are out working. I do have a few Hereford cows and whether we get black or red baldies they sell very well. Our straight red calves sell just as good as any blacks at the sale barn. May just be my area but I think the "Black Craze" is slipping.

The black hide is still king in my area. Red baldy steers seldomly topping the sales most times.

Coosh71":330gw7y0 said:
We live in the Texas Panhandle where Black Angus has ruled the day for a long time. We do have some Black Angus cows but a few years back bought a group of RA bred heifers. IMO they perform a little better in the summer months here, as do the red bulls. When our black bull is in the shade all day our red bulls are out working. I do have a few Hereford cows and whether we get black or red baldies they sell very well. Our straight red calves sell just as good as any blacks at the sale barn. May just be my area but I think the "Black Craze" is slipping.
folks have been thinking that for a long time...angus were being used, long before CAB..

Coosh71":3hsvz93r said:

I don't see any real discount against the good red calves or red bred cows here in NW OK.

jdg":gc6vdlz7 said:
You can thank AAA for the black Hide premium.....masterful marketing.
Yes, yes, yes, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Little known fact:
USDA assigns select-prime grades while hide is still on without looking at carcass.
There is no place in the real world for actual measurable results.

Talk about smoke and mirrors, there is no such thing as premiums. Only Top Price minus any possible Dock/s.
Almost seems as though buyers want to buy them as cheap as they can.
:idea: My theory is packers do business based on a profit scheme.

p.s.
may contain sarcasm

The angus association has cab but most of the feeders also recognize sterling silver. Premium used to be the same for wither program. Don;' know if it is now

Order buyers at sale barns have orders for just black calves a lot of the time. Never have I seen an order for just red or just white and most buyers will never buy spotted or chromed up calves no matter the price.
At the real large sales where cattle are sold in groups, you won't see much difference. They seem color blind at OKC where good calves bring a premium no matter the color. I have seen some skunk calves up there sell very close to the top black calves just because they were darn good large framed uniform calves that were long weaned and not overly fat.

Coosh71":65ky5ep3 said:

I hope people see that hide color does not determine meat quality.

In Great Britain, they developed the Angus breed that comes in black or red. They are the same other than hair color. It is only in the United States where black and red Angus are treated as two separate breeds. It would be like breaking up Labrador retrievers into three breeds for black, yellow, and chocolate colors. Silly!

Bullitt":2nqqe48e said:
Son of Butch":2nqqe48e said:
jdg":2nqqe48e said:
You can thank AAA for the black Hide premium.....masterful marketing.
Yes, yes, yes, it's all smoke and mirrors.

Little known fact:
USDA assigns select-prime grades while hide is still on without looking at carcass.
There is no place in the real world for actual measurable results.

Talk about smoke and mirrors, there is no such thing as premiums. Only Top Price minus any possible Dock/s.
Almost seems as though buyers want to buy them as cheap as they can.
:idea: My theory is packers do business based on a profit scheme.

p.s.
may contain sarcasm

The meat is graded before anyone sees the meat without the hide? That is crazy. No wonder it is difficult to buy consistently good meat in the grocery store. I think that is really hurting the beef industry.
sigh...
no wonder consumers need protection
guess I should have said this post contains :bs:

Latest posts