red baldie vs. black baldie

Help Support CattleToday:

Copenhagen & Shiner B

Reaction score
where the sand meets the clay in South Carolina
I bought a neighbor of mine's Red Angus/Hereford cross "red baldie" heifer at the sale today for $.76 a pound. This heifer wieghed 582 pounds. The black baldie heifers in this weight class bought around $1 a pound. What is the difference between a black baldie and a red baldie other than color? I geuss that red baldies look more like Herefords with their red colorings. The funniest thing at the sale was watching my solid red horned 395 pound Longhorn/Angus cross bull calf bring $1.10 a pound.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":1gqjhjvl said:
What is the difference between a black baldie and a red baldie other than color?

Nothing!

The 400lb range is usually the sweet spot where calves go for the highest $/cwt.

Nothing. Sounds like blacks sell better in your area. Breed her to a black bull and you will be money ahead. :cboy:

The quality of the calves might have been different. Like Todd said the blacks probly sell better. The whole CAB thing. Read back there are a ton of post about it. Tell you the truth I run alot of Angus. I also like to buy those cheaper red baldies. Breed them to a black bull and get blk baldies without having to pay and arm and a leg for the black twice. Just once when I buy my bulls.

Scotty

Scotty":3btbqh3f said:
The quality of the calves might have been different. Like Todd said the blacks probly sell better. The whole CAB thing. Read back there are a ton of post about it. Tell you the truth I run alot of Angus. I also like to buy those cheaper red baldies. Breed them to a black bull and get blk baldies without having to pay and arm and a leg for the black twice. Just once when I buy my bulls.

Scotty
Well I plan on buyin' an Angus bull next. It looks like I am going to have to buy a black one instead of a red one if I am gonna make money at the sale barn.

There was something besides color that the buyers didn't like about that heifer. On heifers of equal conformation the price difference shouldn't be more than 4 or 5 cent per pound if anything. I base this on sales I have observed, and sold cattle at, in the middle Ga. area. I'll bet that red heifer you bought was short legged medium frame. I've got some like that too. They grow out slow , the buyers know it , and discount them accordingly.

Copenhagen and Shiner bok, where are the sand hills of S.C.? I'm guessing Aiken area. My second guess is Darlington area. And what the heck is Shiner bok? Is that made in Texas? I suggest you try Lowenbrau dark, the beer of Danish kings.

Copenhagen & Shiner B":1z1clpb2 said:
The funniest thing at the sale was watching my solid red horned 395 pound Longhorn/Angus cross bull calf bring $1.10 a pound.

Glad to see how well your Longhorn/Angus cross did, and that you know what Shiner Bock is.

Ryan

ga. prime":yd0qsms6 said:
Copenhagen and Shiner bok, where are the sand hills of S.C.? I'm guessing Aiken area. My second guess is Darlington area. And what the heck is Shiner bok? Is that made in Texas? I suggest you try Lowenbrau dark, the beer of Danish kings.
The Sand Hills region is from 5 to 30 miles wides and runs from Augusta at the Georgia line to Rockingham at the North Carolina line. The sand hills also run through the middle of Georgia and North Carolina too. I felt like I was back home when I was in the feild on the eastern side Fort Benning when I was stationed there because of the scrub oaks and deep sand bogs in the roads. The sand hills are basicly the dividing line between the redlands of the Peidmont (Upcountry) and the flatlands of the coastal plain (Lowcountry). Where are you at in South Georgia? I am 1/4 South Georgian myself.

I'm in Dodge Co. near McRae. I was a beer salesman for 5 years back in the '90's. I've tried 'em all. Many times. :)

C&SB, interesting about the sand hills. My brother has reserved a couple of cabins at Cheraw State Park S.C. in June for his family and mine. That must be sand hills country.

ga. prime":2zcw3yax said:
try Lowenbrau dark, the beer of Danish kings.

The last time I had Lowenbrau dark it was made in Asuza, CA, sure wasn't anything like I was used to

dun

Yes, dun, Lowenbrau is made by Miller Brewing Co., not the Danes. We used to get it shipped in from Eden, North Carolina or Arlington, Texas when the brewers were on strike in Eden. I think it was Arlington, maybe Ft. Worth. There was a pretty good demand for kegs of the dark in the college town I sold in. I'm no fan of the dark, but the regular Lowenbrau with the blue label in the green bottle was pretty doggone good.

I heard of Georgia, isn't that the place where them d*nm Yankees went to burn after they got booted out of North Carolina during the War of Criminal Northern Aggression against the South? :)

Actually I fell in love with a place in Georgia....Madison, any one know it?

Latest posts