Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
Any suggestion on a good calving ease bull to use on heifers?

Are epd's different on red angus vs black angus?

ABS has Above and Beyond. Tiny calves that grow into pretty decent cows. Red Angus and the other angus EPDs are totally different.

You are in Tennessee, so Select Sires is readily available to you.
You used A.I. last year. What did you use and what is left in the tank?

I assume you prefer Red Angus for some reason, even though HD's chart in Rosielou post "Advice on bulls" on the beginners
board clearly shows BLACK Angus should be the breed of choice to be in the mix for all grade herds.
(By the way the difference in those charts are, one is calves born in 2012, one 2011 and link to 3rd chart is 1993 data)

3 red angus sires for you to consider...
Select Sires link to Sun King
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.ph ... ge?bid=227

Nice and Easy looks like a good young red angus sire for calving ease.
http://www.accelgen.com/catalog/semen-b ... asy-z7335/
Makin Hay is accelerated's best calving ease for proven red angus
http://www.accelgen.com/catalog/semen-b ... -hay-9913/

Before deciding on a bull, go to redangus.org and look up the animal and look back at their family tree. If I was looking for possibily retaining females I wouldn;t want anythign wiht Making Mimi or Cherokee canyon in their lineage. Might also want to look at the EPD trends and statistics

dun":3gs767k7 said:
ABS has Above and Beyond. Tiny calves that grow into pretty decent cows. Red Angus and the other angus EPDs are totally different.

Above and Beyond is in the top 1% for red angus and with over 90% accuracy is as good as they come for calving ease.

Red oly from accelerated genetics have weaned some awesome calves from him and they birth easy too

Even though Oly is in top 5% for low bw red angus he's ranked 20th out of 21 red angus sires at Accelerated for calving ease.
I have no experience with Oly, but that is a very odd stat and because he's well proven I can't assume it to be a fluke and
would not call him heifer safe and neither does Accelerated.

If you indeed are located in TN; red hill farms should be fairly close and they offer semen on heifer acceptable Bulls with an emphasis on functional cows backing their bulls. Redhillfarms.net and look at red angus sires; semen is available on most.

Easiest calver I ever used was LMG Gills Custer. used him on fleckvieh heifers. Got 9 or 10 calves over 3 years. they weaned a good 40 lbs lighter on average than the other heifers did but I was happy with them. Kept a couple as replacements but got rid of them as they were too protective at calving. Within a week they were finE to be around but with young kids around I don't keep anything that has attitude issues. they raised nice calves both out of a Fleckvieh calving ease bull. not sure if there is still any semen on the market. believe he was Select Sires.

A&B may sire more white then you want. We've had a couple that looked like their entire belly was painted white. Others that barely had a single spot of white on the belly.

Recently had a side conversation with a friend who breeds Red Angus, as well as Maines. Above & Beyond came up in the discussion - she said they fall out so small and slender that you look at them and go "Why did I do THAT?"... but then, she said, they start growing and widening and deepening... she really likes them.
Don't know about white - and it's probably not a concern for her (or me), but will defer to dun on that point.

Been looking, recently, at some of the bulls at nearby Red Hills Red Angus... may have to give some of them a try when it comes time to reinfuse some Angus influence into the herd.

Lucky_P":28k3t6ra said:
Above & Beyond came up in the discussion - she said they fall out so small and slender that you look at them and go "Why did I do THAT?"... but then, she said, they start growing and widening and deepening... she really likes them.
:lol:
Funny how human nature works when a plan works too easy. I've been guilty of the same thing.
Even though I'll never be using Above and Beyond, it's good to hear that an extreme calving ease bull can produce quality results.

Son of Butch":5cm8bgts said:
Lucky_P":5cm8bgts said:
Above & Beyond came up in the discussion - she said they fall out so small and slender that you look at them and go "Why did I do THAT?"... but then, she said, they start growing and widening and deepening... she really likes them.
:lol:
Funny how human nature works when a plan works too easy. I've been guilty of the same thing.
Even though I'll never be using Above and Beyond, it's good to hear that an extreme calving ease bull can produce quality results.
With daughters that pop out calves lilke spitting watermelon seeds.

I had looked at him, the only thing that rings a warning bell for me is the RE, we sell on the grid at times and it matters.