Red Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef11

Reaction score
I have been looking seriously at buying some red angus heifers to flush. The downside is that i cowboyed for an outfit that raised reds, blacks, herefords and commercials and the red ones were always the sick ones. My buddy ran a herd of registered reds for a guy and also said they were problematic and you had to watch them all the time. I worry cause i don't want a group of cattle that are unable to handle themselves? Any similar experiences with fullblood red angus?

Beef11":1muahwz0 said:
I have been looking seriously at buying some red angus heifers to flush. The downside is that i cowboyed for an outfit that raised reds, blacks, herefords and commercials and the red ones were always the sick ones. My buddy ran a herd of registered reds for a guy and also said they were problematic and you had to watch them all the time. I worry cause i don't want a group of cattle that are unable to handle themselves? Any similar experiences with fullblood red angus?

Nope.

I have run them in the past.

Buy then right, raise them right and keep them right - you will do well.

Bez!

Beef11":3mwdr0ud said:
Just curious. If you have had such a bad experience with them then why would you be looking to breed them? I have had some experience with some other breeds some good some bad. I certainly didn't go looking to get more of the ones I had a bad experience with.
I'm a small time Red Angus breeder and they have been good to me. I say select for good ones and you shouldn't have any problems.

i see them as the breed that will have the most growth here in the next decade or two. People like angus but the reds are alot more docile. I like how reds don't have the frame of the blacks for the enviroment out here to much frame is a definate liability. I guess, i just like them and ideally i would cross with a hereford and make some nice maternally bred f1 red baldys.

We were so impressed with the half to 3/4 red angus we were getting when using a Red Angus bull that we have been making the switch to purebreds. No problems with sickness here. We're finding them hardy - especial for our winters that have drastic temperature changes.

Victoria":qz63o5zq said:
We were so impressed with the half to 3/4 red angus we were getting when using a Red Angus bull that we have been making the switch to purebreds.

Victoria,
I have several herefords bred to a good red angus bull. They will calve in march. Looking forward to some heifers of retaining quality. Hope I'm as pleased as you. But I'm confident in the quality of the bull.

Victoria":qz63o5zq said:
No problems with sickness here. We're finding them hardy - especial for our winters that have drastic temperature changes.
This is also good to know. No barn for my critters in the winter.

IVE BEEN AROUND CATTLE ALL MY LIFE IVE SEEN ALL DIFFERENT BREEDS SOME CAN BE POOR SOME WILL STAY HEALTHY WHAT IVE LEARNED IS HOW U TAKE CARE OF THE ANIMALS WE CHECK ALL OF THE CATTLE EVERY DAY IN THE WINTER, SUMMER TIME EVERY 3 DAYS OR IF SOMEONE IS CLOSE.

We've never had a health issue with Red Angus, but we haven;t with Polled Hereford or the other color Angus either. I haven;t noticed a difference by breed with any specific breed of cattle except Salers and Limousin. There are nut cases in every breed and it isn;t alwasy their treatment and care. We've used bulls in the past that every calf was a nut, others that the calves have been calm.

dun

Out here we run on ground that tends to be somewhat sparse so a cow has to be able to handle the enviroment first then be able to be productive all while being in good enough condition to breed back. I once rode for an outfit and they ran on to different pastures one being 65,000 acres the other being 30,000 acres and the land had as many wrinkles in it as my basset hound, it was rocky steep brushy country and you don't see your cows every week and sometimes you won't see your cows for months being how some are hiding out in some quiet little corner. I've ran on irrigated ground also and could check all my cows weekly and that seemed to work fine.

Victoria,
I have several herefords bred to a good red angus bull. They will calve in march. Looking forward to some heifers of retaining quality. Hope I'm as pleased as you. But I'm confident in the quality of the bull.

Some of our best commercial cattle are Red Angus/Hereford cross. We bought some 12 years ago and they are still producing some great calves. So you should get some great looking heifers to keep.
We were breeding them Charolais and they did well but some of those calves just got too cold. Now that they are bred Red Angus there is no trouble at all. We got a Red Angus bull for our heifers and those calves had no problems dealing with the cold. We were watching the Charolais babies from the cows that knew what they were doing lying there wanting to die and the first calf heifer's calves were literally up and running in freezing temperatures soaking wet. That was when we decided we had fought with Charolais calves too long and did the switch. Not that I am putting down Charolais. I love our half Charolais cows, they're docile and have some huge calves but the calves are slow and wimpy and we don't have the set up to deal with that. It's important to find the breed that works best for your situation. We were trying to jam a square peg into a round hole for far too many years. Mind you, we might still be attempting but the price for those Red Angus and Red Angus cross calves has really improved up here. Used to be the buckskin calves were what sold but now our prices are just as good on the reds.