Red angus x Hereford cross ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
A friend called today and asked about DNA procedures with AI. He AI'd a Jersey cow to a Jersey Bull and now the customer is swearing it's a Brown Swiss mix. So in my (mind less thoughts) I was wondering how hard it would be to tell the difference between a Red Angus hereford cross and a straight Herf, some herefords have a complete red neck..... Or anything else. So if I ran a Red Angus and a hereford bull on my hereford cows how easy would it be to know who the sire is, other the expected dates of birth?

Thanks, Alan

We've used a number of Polled Hereford bulls on our Red Angus cows through the years. Some of the calves look like straight Hereford others are typical baldies others mottle faced otherss are what the call around here red neckers. Look just like a Herefprd but without the neck patch.

Depending on your herefords, but you should be able to tell just by looking at the head shape

We beleive that the Red Baldies are very superior to the blacks. The red Angus assc.always was based on performance,therefore had a fair headstart on many other breeds. You can tell the difference between a red baldy and a hereford quite easily. Its easy here ,we cut allthe crossbreds. Super feeding cattle.

I got a dumb question-

Red Balancers cows on hereford bull?

Make sense or do I need to put my crackpipe down?

shaz":ffbnj1po said:
I got a dumb question-

For meat or maternal.
Also what % of angus and Gelbvieh?

shaz":1e0zhyyq said:
I got a dumb question-

If you're talking 50/50 RA/GV cows and putting a herf bull on them it works but it works against the market. I would much rather see a 50/50 GV/Herf crossed on a BLK Angus bull.

Maternal would be my choice right now. I have plenty of good meat calves. These are balancer heifers that my wife bought last Sept. I'm not really concerned about the market where these heifers are concerned. This was just an experiment.

Latest posts