Red angus x Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Cress27

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience using a red angus Hereford cross breed bull? I'm still on the look out for a bull to breed to some heifers. I've got a purebred Hereford and some red simmental along with a few old Longhorns I picked up for a good price

Most people will likely advise against a crossbred bull bred like that, but we are going to be experimenting with some Hereford black Angus crosses. My only concern would be using a xbred bull on heifers especially if I didn't know much about his background pedigree.

Hills is correct, most would advise against that. However, you can pick up crossbred bulls like that pretty reasonably sometimes compared to purebred. I would say most importantly make sure the crossbreds sire and dam are both quality animals.
Buy from someone who raises and feeds them the same way you're going to. The bull should be conditioned to live under your management style.

Cress27 said:
Anyone have any experience using a red angus Hereford cross breed bull? I'm still on the look out for a bull to breed to some heifers. I've got a purebred Hereford and some red simmental along with a few old Longhorns I picked up for a good price
Ky hills said:
Most people will likely advise against a crossbred bull bred like that, but we are going to be experimenting with some Hereford black Angus crosses. My only concern would be using a xbred bull on heifers especially if I didn't know much about his background pedigree.
BFE said:
Hills is correct, most would advise against that. However, you can pick up crossbred bulls like that pretty reasonably sometimes compared to purebred. I would say most importantly make sure the crossbreds sire and dam are both quality animals.
Buy from someone who raises and feeds them the same way you're going to. The bull should be conditioned to live under your management style.

Why would you advise against a red angus/hereford cross bull? Because of hybrid vigor and thinking the calf would be to big for a heifer due to heterosis?

ccr said:
Cress27 said:
Ky hills said:
BFE said:

Why would you advise against a red angus/hereford cross bull? Because of hybrid vigor and thinking the calf would be to big for a heifer due to heterosis?

I would not advise against a bull of that cross if that fit the need. Just my opinion hybrid vigor is real but but hard to quantify. Those two breeds together would not necessarily scare me to breed heifers to IF they were of adequate size and if the bull was from lines of cattle with a known history for calving ease.
I made the comment that most would be against the idea of a crossbred bull of those breeds because it seems folks either are sold on purebred bulls with all the bells and whistles so to speak or some have embraced certain crosses that involve British X Continental breeds. To me those B x C crosses would result in more lack of uniformity and overall predictability than a British x British cross would.

I have always wanted to keep a cross bred half Charolais half angus bull. Never had the courage. Apparently they make a good calf back over the angus cow. Sort of 1/ char calf so to speak little more growth for those that won't go full char bull. Why not try it.

Cress27 said:

I would not use on Heifers because there is no way to predict the result. But if all you want is a pregnant animal then go for it. I am sure you will not like the results in 9 months. Hell you might get lucky please report back and let us know how it went.

ccr said:
Cress27 said:
Ky hills said:
BFE said:

That is one reason to advise against it. There are other reasons I would advise against it, but those are just personal preferences. I have mine, you have yours, everyone has them.....but no matter what mine or yours may be, I keep coming back to the bull be being a unknown crossbred, and the poster is planning to breed to heifers, which could potentially be a train wreck, and if it happens to one heifer, why couldn't it happen to all of them.

Latest posts