Red Angus X Gerts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
I know Santa Gertrudis aren't mentioned on here much, But does anyone have anyexperience with crossing Red Angus and Gerts?

Do you think that would work well in the Texas weather?

I was at the State Fair of Texas last weekend, and they were tied up next to each other, guess that sparked my curiousity since i've always like both breeds.

Ryan":30gft208 said:
I know Santa Gertrudis aren't mentioned on here much, But does anyone have anyexperience with crossing Red Angus and Gerts?

Do you think that would work well in the Texas weather?

Gerts were bred for the south Texas climate, and have done well in others areas, Red Angus do very well about anywhere.
No reason that I can see that they wouldn't work well in Texas weather.

What about the Pros and Cons(outside of being not black ;-) ) should be considered with this cross?

I think it would be an excellent cross, especially for the Southern climates. (Just a tip the reds will eat while the blacks are in the shade)

I have often wondered and pondered that cross essentially you have a Beefmaster with Angus taking the place of Hereford!

Ryan -- it should work very well. You may want to do a little reading about the Santa Cruz, which is a fairly new composite breed developed by the King Ranch down in south Texas. Recall that the King Ranch was the original "creator" of the Santa Gertrudis breed. Santa Cruz consist of 1/2 Gert, 1/4 Red Angus and 1/4 Gelbvieh. The Santa Cruz apparently handle the conditions down on the King ranch just fine and provide a carcass improvement as compared to straight Gert.

gert/angus is a pretty common cross for replacement females. most of the ones i've seen are black angus/gert but my guess is that's just because of the higher numbers of black angus. red should work just as well.

but.......the gert/angus cross is not as popular as the gert/hereford cross.

Oops, Supposed to be -> Why IS this more popular

Ryan":9g1121br said:
Oops, Supposed to be -> Why IS this more popular

personally, i really don't know. the angus/gert cross should be close to the same thing but for some reason the gert/hereford is more popular & brings better prices at the replacement sales.

OK. The Red Angus/Gert cross does work well. A year or so ago, a breeder brought about 15 head to a registered sale, (and this was back before the prices were on their way up), they sold for $950-$975. This was at one of the registered sales that allow the cattle in the crossbreeding program to sell as well.
I would have gone after them if I hadn't already gotten more than I needed that day!

The Santa Gertrudis association has really pushed this cross as part of their % program. The angus influx adds some fertility and cleans the gerts up some. I know the cross has really been a + for the red angus association.

Latest posts