Red Angus/ Shorthorn Bull calf going to table

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Sarria

Reaction score
[url[
Redbullcalfside.jpg
img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/MannySarria/redangusbullcalf.jpg[/img]][/url]
Here is a 1 year old red Angus/shorthorn bull calf that we were going to keep as a hard bull but we don't think he up to par, so he will be going to or diner table this year.

I think you made a good decision to take him to the dinner table. Sometimes it just takes time to see if they grow as well as they promise they will and his new destination is where he should be headed. Sorry he didn't perform the way you anticipated he would.

Is this a cross that you are actively pursuing or just a fluke. Are you looking to produce Durham Reds.

Angus/Brangus":20efufhy said:
Good decision! What was the cross mix percentage?
3waycross":20efufhy said:
Is this a cross that you are actively pursuing or just a fluke. Are you looking to produce Durham Reds.
Santas and Duhram Reds":20efufhy said:
Do you purposely raise this cross (durham reds) or is it just a cross you tried?

Mother cow is a pure red shorthorn/ and I had her "AI" with a pure Red Angus so I guess he is 50/50.
I didn't no that this cross was a Duhram Red? :oops: we just had this red shorthorn cows and thought that a cross with Red Angus would be a good cross to better or cows? We got some very nice heifers from that some AI bull. But it comes down to we think Red is the way to go LOL.

TNMasterBeefProducer":wet90lnh said:
Round here and in most places black is the way to go.

Round here good red calves sell for as much or more than blk. The key is no white or little white on them. Last fall we saw GOOD red calves top the sale 3 times in one month. They were RA/Gelbvieh/Limmo crosses, and they were spectacular calves. They whipped the crap out of Blk Angus calves.
But they were UNIFORM WEIGHT, POLLED, AND SOLID RED.!

If a bunch of calves hits our sale ring looking like a dog from every town, they sell like a dog from every town, blk or not.

]

Mother cow is a pure red shorthorn/ and I had her "AI" with a pure Red Angus so I guess he is 50/50.
I didn't no that this cross was a Duhram Red? :oops: we just had this red shorthorn cows and thought that a cross with Red Angus would be a good cross to better or cows? We got some very nice heifers from that some AI bull. But it comes down to we think Red is the way to go LOL.[/quote]

You take those calves and cross them to a Red Gelbvieh bull and you will have some dandies. Select your AI sire carefully for the traits you really want. If you need help reading EPD's contact me and I will be glad to help.

Well he was nuted on 7/21/08 first time I ever seen this don I even helped it was experiences for shore, I will be butchering him October, hope he will be tasty.

M.Sarria":8w637fc8 said:
Well he was nuted on 7/21/08 first time I ever seen this don I even helped it was experiences for shore, I will be butchering him October, hope he will be tasty.

Why did you choose to nut him in June when you knew he was going to the buthcher in the Fall?

M.Sarria":na9mqyys said:
I was told that he would taste alot better??????????? was he wrong?

He'll taste just fine. It would have been better to cut him a long time ago, but all it will do is set him back a bit and hurt his gain for a while. Don't let people here rattle you, you didn't do anything real wrong.

By the way how did your other deal turn out with the breeding you were talking about.

Not trying to rattle anybody. I asked because I have a 1 year old bull that was soposed to be a steer (botched clamp castration) that is also going to the buthcher in the Fall. I chose not to "recastrate" him and was just wondering what the original posters thought process was. :D