Red Angus sexed

Help Support CattleToday:

Jack T.

Reaction score
Recently picked up a couple Red Angus heifers. Need to get them bred on their next cycle. Anybody have input on a bull. . .one I can get sexed semen from?

What exactly are you looking for in a bull? And what's their pedigrees like, if you have that info?

Pedigree? All I know is that they are (roughly) half Red Angus/half Gelbvieh. But, since I can't find sexed Gelbvieh *anywhere*, I'm stuck with Red Angus.

As for the bull? I honestly have no idea. I'm new enough at this cow thing to not know much. I just know what I have, and know I want better. If I continually breed to the highest quality bull I can find, I'll have a bunch of really nice stock in 10-15 years. . .which is kinda my time frame.

Where are you located? ABS has sexed semen on the red angus bull NORSEMAN KING. If you get on www.absglobal.com and search for him you can find pictures and data on him. He is a bull that will increase carcass traits as well as prodoce excellent females.

Norseman King is a good bull. He produces moderately framed females that are thick and deep and have good body length. The only thing I've noticed from him, is the heifers out of him don't have great neck extension. He has also thrown some fancier females off our showier cows.

His calving ease isn;t bad but his maternal calving ease sucks. Sure wouldn;t use him for a momma maker

dun":2uyk0o1j said:
His calving ease isn;t bad but his maternal calving ease sucks. Sure wouldn;t use him for a momma maker

I apologize for my ignorance. . .13 months ago I could count on one (1) hand how many times I had ever even *touched* a cow. Now I've got 9 head. Yeah, buddy. . .I'm a big time rancher now. . .or something like that.

So Noresman is a top-flight bull except that the heifer calves he has have a hard time when *they* have calves, yes? I'm just trying to build a herd right now (hence the sexed semen). . .so that could be something to watch out for. Especially since I'm still on a really steep learning curve!

Cle, I'm down in Stillwater, and we have Reproduction Enterprises, Inc here which can get any kind of semen I want. . .I just have to know what to ask for :banana:

My appologies, dun, but in whose world is his calving ease not bad? At only +1 CED he is well below breed average and not really a calving ease bull for heifers. But I couldn't agree more on his CEM.

IMHO, I think you are better off choosing a good proven calving ease bull for this year and be happy with what you get. There will be a better selection I think by next year if you want sexed semen. You can't build a herd with dead calves and cows from calving problems. Especially if you are just starting out.

If you are bent on sexed semen there are more (I hate to say this) Black Angus bulls available to choose from. But I don't know why anyone would want to do that. ;-)

redcowsrule33":278rsoc3 said:
My appologies, dun, but in whose world is his calving ease not bad? At only +1 CED he is well below breed average and not really a calving ease bull for heifers. But I couldn't agree more on his CEM.

IMHO, I think you are better off choosing a good proven calving ease bull for this year and be happy with what you get. There will be a better selection I think by next year if you want sexed semen. You can't build a herd with dead calves and cows from calving problems. Especially if you are just starting out.

If you are bent on sexed semen there are more (I hate to say this) Black Angus bulls available to choose from. But I don't know why anyone would want to do that. ;-)

Not all that bad. Not godd but not awfull either. Well below what I use but a lot of the popular bulls seem to be going more and more to lower CE and or higher BW. That's part of the reason I've been having a hard time trying to find a new AI bull.

Jack T - do you realize that you are NOT guaranteed a HEIFER? Instead of 50% chance of getting a heifer, it's going to be about 80% chance. But, you will get lower conception. Instead of about 8 mil sperm count, ABS puts about 1 mil in sexed semen. And, since it was "manipulated" to get it sexed, it's not as viable. And on top of all this, it is more expensive. I realize you are only puchasing semen for 2 head, but -----
I would go with a good calving ease bull. Pick a breed - any breed - what difference does it make? You can't register the offspring. Oh yeah, you could breed them to a calving ease Simmental :banana: or a few other breeds that allow you to upgrade.
Hmm - maybe I better backtrack on that. Does RA let you upgrade??? Now that I think about it, they might. Could you register a 1/2 blood?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":38kh2xe0 said:
Does RA let you upgrade??? Now that I think about it, they might. Could you register a 1/2 blood?
Yes you can. Untyil they're over a certain percentage they are category III then they are 1B. 100% angus breeding is 1A.

Jeanne - Yeah, but for what I'm after, it's worth paying a bit more for a better chance at a heifer. At this point I am only interested in building a herd. Kinda working on my retirement fund. . .and bull calves don't help me at all. I've been using sexed stuff on Jersey heifers/cows with right at a 50% conception rate.

Select Sires doesn't have anything in a Red Angus sexed, and Norseman from ABS doesn't sound like a bull for either a) heifers, or b) somebody with my astounding lack of experience.

May just have to bite the bullet and used unsexed this year. Doggonit.

Genex didn't have anything. . .but Accelerated has one right now (Cody) and will have another next week (Conquest). Gonna get a few straws of Conquest and see how it goes.

Conquest would be a better choice for heifers.

dun":20l2fiua said:
Well below what I use but a lot of the popular bulls seem to be going more and more to lower CE and or higher BW. That's part of the reason I've been having a hard time trying to find a new AI bull.
It's tough I agree. I'm trying some calving-ease Canadian bulls to limit inbreeding but I'm not happy with the carcass numbers on most. Just for fun I searched for my "ideal" bull on RAAA's website on an EPD search. Returned one bull that fit my parameters. And he's dead.

Latest posts