red angus question?

Help Support CattleToday:

ebrown512

Reaction score
I have seen reference to 1-A cattle and 1-B cattle. I understand the 1-B may have other genetics in it's pedigree. Is this correct? If I am purchasing semen on a RA bull, how do I know if it is 100% red angus genetics.

Any help in understanding this by a red angus breeder would be appreciated.

The pedigree and the EPDs online both specify if it's 1A 100% Angus or 1B I think it's 87 1/2% Angus. and it may be a higher percentage required for bulls. I haven;t seen any RA bulls from the major bull studs that have anything other then 1A, it's specified in their catalogs most of the time. But a quick check at redangus.org under the EPD section will have it listed.

dun

You are correct. 1A Red Angus cattle are 100% or as some would refer to as "Fullblood" Red Angus. 1B are Red Angus that are 87.5% to 99.9% Red Angus and have something else in their pedigree (this could be another breed or it could be an undocumented Red Angus in the pedigree). The majority of bulls that semen is sold on by the AI Bull Stud companies are 1A however, the best way for you to make sure is to go to the Red Angus website (http://www.redangus.org) and then on the drop down list under GENETICS/EPDS click on EPDS AND DATA LOOKUP. When that page comes up click on EPD LOOKUP. You will then be able to type a registration number into the page to search for the sire. After your animal is shown, click on the reg# to go to the pedigree. On the third row down of information you will see: CATEGORY. That is the place where you can find out if the animal is 1A/1B/2/3.

Good luck in your search.

Latest posts