Red Angus question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
"Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation" is the Cattle Today webmaster's tagline for this section, so in
your opinion; Who is (or should be) the go to Red Angus sire for replacement females?

It depends on ones priorities. The "breeding to the best bulls" tag line has been used since AI became popular.

Either one looks good, the first is below breed average for milk

He is one that goes back to cherokee canyon the poster boy for horrible CEM. I no longer take a chance on anything with him in the pedigree anywhere.

Accelerated Genetics has Brown Synergy .... Redemption's 3/4 brother with more milk
both are in top 1% for Herd Builder index and are pretty well proven
Brown Synergy milk 31 (top 14%) ced 11 hpg 18 cem 6 stay 16 - hb 189 price $25
Brown Redemption 18 milk (58%) ced 17 hpg 11 cem 9 stay 17 - hb 204 price $30

https://www.accelgen.com/catalog/semen- ... rgy-x7838/

I wouldn't let 5 bucks a unit keep from buying a bull that I really liked

dun":5rw51gcz said:
I wouldn't let 5 bucks a unit keep from buying a bull that I really liked
Agreed, I was just comparing the option for 2 very similar good bulls, IF you want more milk there is one or if you want
to moderate milk the other.

I'm not certain if Accelerated and Genex are both available in all states in the nation. They are here in Mn. but I would be more likely to buy the Accelerated semen because of the personal relationship and quality of service I have gotten from my local Accelerated rep. Just saying... as I have nothing but good to say about Genex too.

We have ABS, Genex and accelerated all here. Lately it seems that Accelerated ahs had more of interst in Red Angus than the others. ABS still R294 (polled hereford) so that's who we get Hereford semen from. Sevral years ago I bought a bunch of semen from bulls that ABS quit listing becuase they were low on semen from them. Cleaned them out of several bulls so I haven;t had to buy any Red Angus semen lately.

Son of Butch":3f8wy3w2 said:
Accelerated Genetics has Brown Synergy .... Redemption's 3/4 brother with more milk
both are in top 1% for Herd Builder index and are pretty well proven
Brown Synergy milk 31 (top 14%) ced 11 hpg 18 cem 6 stay 16 - hb 189 price $25
Brown Redemption 18 milk (58%) ced 17 hpg 11 cem 9 stay 17 - hb 204 price $30

https://www.accelgen.com/catalog/semen- ... rgy-x7838/

What about Brown Legend ?

I am a Red Hills fan and like these bulls as maternal sires:

Red Hills 13R Ripper 28U
1 BWJ Julian 17P
RHF-BUF U199 Lancer 157Y
Of course, I have no actual experience. What do you all think? All have semen available.

City Guy":2gsvfwe0 said:
I am a Red Hills fan and like these bulls as maternal sires:

Red Hills 13R Ripper 28U
1 BWJ Julian 17P
RHF-BUF U199 Lancer 157Y
Of course, I have no actual experience. What do you all think? All have semen available.

We have females in Production by 17P and yearlings being exposed right now aswell as calves on wet sept/oct calving two year olds by 28U.
17P does several things right, calves come easy and grow like weeds; generally have exceptionally light colored coats with great hair for the southeast. He sires great bone with exceptional muscle for a CE bull and a great foot and flexibility.
You can't blanket a cow herd with him though as he isn't in our findings an udder improver, in fact he has been fairly inconsistent on udder and teat quality. the other downside to the bull is some of them can be alittle high headed, not man eaters but they're always thinking about what you're about to do; almost like they can smell that you're going to catch them and they aren't going in there unless you chase them( wife leads our cattle with a white bucket and soyhull pellets).
I have high hopes that the 28u cattle with be alittle calmer but still deliver some of the good of 17P( his maternal grandsire) along with being a Romeo descendant on the top side. 46S is a steller little cow, she didn't weigh over 1000 at weaning for several years. The yearlings we have now were born to 3 yrs old the fall before and they were stand outs thus we used more semen. the 2 yr olds that stuck to him calved unassisted this fall and those calves were very vigorous and look very promising as future replacements but their steer mates aren't light muscled puds.
157Y was a really nice calf and there is a video of him on you tube taken as he walks across a field as an older bull. His dam 85S is a full sib to 84S (one of the highest use RA bulls not in a major stud) and was a really good moderate cow until she became stifled and was lost early on).
We have a few wet T189 2 yr olds and I really like what they have to offer, exceptional width, barrel, and udder quality in a small to moderate package depending upon dams.
I've been trying for years to get an 84S son bought but can never seem to get ii accomplished at Red hill and that's the reasoning in not using him A.I. either.

We have an 84S son we are retaining for use this year in spite of being a black red-carrier. Dam is a TR Epic ST618 x Right Kind. Have liked the Red Hill program for years, like the looks of their 176A bull.

Another bull I am seriously considering is the Domain bull at Genex, his maternal grandsire 0545 makes some good cows. http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1AR00960&lang=EN

I own RHF-BUF U199 157Y, and have been more impressed every year. He was my first foray into RA, so I still have some discovery to see how his daughters stack up against my black angus and herefords, but so far, so very good. Calves come small and grow well, but the daughters have shut down at the right time to produce moderate cows. The bull is a prolific breeder covering 55-65 cows each breeding season i've had him. Semen is being shipped to South American as we speak. Red Hill has continued to use the bull here and there, and i've seen sons of their's that were quite nice too. PM me if you have any specific questions.

This is 157y after 60 cows on bahia grass in south GA…extremely slick coated and adapted to the heat. Always ready for more.

Latest posts