Red Angus in MO

Help Support CattleToday:

Santas and Duhram Reds":265e8vdb said:
I've found this site before, just wanting someone's view with maybe some experiences they may have had.

I know a good number of the members listed. There are a couple I would shy away from but they aren;t in MO

Sorry dun, someone just pm'ed me and said you raise red angus. I do not plan on buying very many since this is mostly a side venture. Of course how many I buy may also depend on what they would cost. May I ask what bloodlines you would pursue for crossing with Shorthorn and Santa Gertrudis cattle so I can do a little research? My current red angus influence is Buf Crk Hobo 1961 and Cherokee Canyon.

Hobo generates terrific mother cows, CC is best as a terminal sire. My preference of the recent sires is Glacier Chateau. But as in everything else in catle breeding and the beef business, it depends on what you are trying to acocmplish and where you are starting.
Leachman none better, Leachman King Rob, Leachman heaven or bust, and glacier marias all have worked well.
We're just small timers with the registered RA being a small part, the majority are commercial cows that are R influenced and we use mostly RA bulls. BRG breeds a whole lot more RA then we do and I'm sure uses more diverse bloodlines.

Slightly different project, but tell me more about your commercial herd. How many Gens. are they RA. I assume they would be cheaper? Where are you located exactly. How far from Sedalia

I sort of know Matt Boatright who lives in my county. Know much about his operation? My sister and her husband have considered buying cattle from him before for their Shorthorn operation, but their son married a Hereford breeder's daughter and you know how that goes.

Edit: I don't want to put you in any position to say anything Negative about Matt, so I withdraw the quesiton. I don't really KNOW him. He knows my face and who I am but I doubt he remembers my name.

dun":3pqamrhy said:
Hobo generates terrific mother cows, CC is best as a terminal sire. My preference of the recent sires is Glacier Chateau. But as in everything else in catle breeding and the beef business, it depends on what you are trying to acocmplish and where you are starting.
Leachman none better, Leachman King Rob, Leachman heaven or bust, and glacier marias all have worked well.
We're just small timers with the registered RA being a small part, the majority are commercial cows that are R influenced and we use mostly RA bulls. BRG breeds a whole lot more RA then we do and I'm sure uses more diverse bloodlines.

My last bull was a King Rob son. I cannot say enough good things about his calves. All of my calves dropped this spring were out of this bull. Birthweights were 75 to 80 pounds consistantly and weaning weights from last year averaged 595 or so at 180 days. I have retained some heifers from 1.5 years ago and am very excited to see how their calves will look. Sadly in this area black brings the cash so I sold siad bull and went to a black balancer. I am glad I kept those heifers though.

Latest posts