Red Angus Cows & Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Have slowly been getting a few pairs out to pasture. Not much grass growing yet (it's there, but just needs a shot of rain and it would take right off I think). So trying to put a few pairs here & there so as not to set the grass back too much if we don't get rain... Have close to 40 pairs out so far and will get another 25 more out today hopefully. I'm sort of fussy about which cows go with which bull too (always trying to find a combination that really clicks to get the best calf possible) which slows up the process a little more too. The boss is always giving me a hard time about how much faster if it would be if I didn't do all this matchmaking, even though he knows it makes a difference.

Took a few pictures yesterday and thought I would share some. These are all RA cows & calves
IMG_6111sm_zps7ysophib.jpg

These girls looked at me to see if I had anything for them and then screwed right off... Guess they aren't taking any chances in being caught and forced to eat hay again lol
Hard to see but there is a hotwire behind them keeping them out of the hay crop in the background.

IMG_6114sm_zpslvm4cztj.jpg

The other half of this group.

Cows are starting to shed off their winter hair, but they are still looking pretty scruffy at this point.
IMG_6128sm_zpsf03gg1h1.jpg

a 5 yr old cow

IMG_6142sm_zps0pldpae2.jpg

bull calf

IMG_6146sm_zps06aazzay.jpg

heifer calf

IMG_6151sm_zpsiqpzpsak.jpg

Wouldn't advise standing too close behind these girls

IMG_6160sm_zpssjexle5u.jpg

IMG_6167sm_zpsipanue58.jpg

heifer calf

IMG_6164sm_zpstxbw1fyc.jpg

bull calf & his 6 yr old dam

IMG_6154sm_zpsgqrrggb9.jpg

another bull calf

IMG_6189sm_zpsemgjvbxp.jpg

heifer calf & 6 yr old dam

IMG_6197sm_zpsf7dheo7y.jpg

1st calver & her heifer calf

IMG_6176sm_zpsdxexmnxk.jpg

bull calf closest & heifer calf behind.

love those R A s nice !could send you some moisture from here got water standing everywhere!

Nice looking cows Creekdrive! Judging by the calves you have there you're pretty good at pairing cows with bulls! Great job!!

I wish I could do more matchmaking.. My little herd it's hard to justify 2 bulls, but I do anyhow.. This year I'm pretty much saying all the solid red cows are with my home raised bull, all the white/spots/roans are with the Limo... Try that for a year and see what that yields.

Always like looking at your pictures :)

Thanks all. I think this years calves are looking pretty good so far...

Matchmaking is probably my favorite part of having cows. Sometimes they don't end up where I would've preferred them, but I always try to make sure if there was a combo that we know didn't work at all that the cow doesn't end up going back with that bull.

It's finally raining here - 3/10ths in the rain gauge so far and it's still coming down out there. YAY!! Managed to get a few more pairs out yesterday, I think there is 66 out now in 5 different pastures.

Cattle look great . Hopefully you get more rain as well . Just checked rain gauge this morning and have over 4.5 Inches so far and still coming down west of E-town.

Thanks cowboy. It stopped raining here (about an hour south east of Camrose) about 9 this morning. I don't think our rain gauge is holding all the water it's supposed to, have fixed some cracks in it before but suspect maybe they are leaking a little. Went to buy another one but all the stores were sold out of course. Going by what other people have been getting that have working rain gauges I would guess we have gotten between 3.5"-4". This morning doing my morning cow check there was water standing on the tops of the hills & good streams flowing down towards the creek. Don't remember the last time I've seen that other than when the snow is melting first thing in the spring. It's sure great to see that's for sure!

creekdrive":1nza27nt said:
Have slowly been getting a few pairs out to pasture. Not much grass growing yet (it's there, but just needs a shot of rain and it would take right off I think). So trying to put a few pairs here & there so as not to set the grass back too much if we don't get rain... Have close to 40 pairs out so far and will get another 25 more out today hopefully. I'm sort of fussy about which cows go with which bull too (always trying to find a combination that really clicks to get the best calf possible) which slows up the process a little more too. The boss is always giving me a hard time about how much faster if it would be if I didn't do all this matchmaking, even though he knows it makes a difference.

Cows are starting to shed off their winter hair, but they are still looking pretty scruffy at this point.
IMG_6128sm_zpsf03gg1h1.jpg

a 5 yr old cow

Looks like they came thru the winter in pretty good shape.. I heard parts of Alberta were getting some much needed moisture in the last day or two.. Hopefully you get some too..

Latest posts