Red Angus commercial Bull prospect.

Help Support CattleToday:

southalberta

Reaction score
Very new to red beef anything wondering thoughts on this little guy he's 4.5 months old at picture time.

Is he good enough to be a bull or just good burger? Lol

Attachments

• 30D9FC42-A8C6-4CC8-BF2E-4BC90E45876B.jpeg
    30D9FC42-A8C6-4CC8-BF2E-4BC90E45876B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • B8B3C0F3-FFAB-4425-A7A6-218165289303.jpeg
    B8B3C0F3-FFAB-4425-A7A6-218165289303.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • B1BBE83A-A3AD-4291-A49B-AC0593C1E2E1.jpeg
    B1BBE83A-A3AD-4291-A49B-AC0593C1E2E1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
5 months now

Attachments

• 04B70CB4-E343-4C53-BF89-DA92DDB1BAB5.jpeg
    04B70CB4-E343-4C53-BF89-DA92DDB1BAB5.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 1ED2A5B8-1892-40C9-A0C3-E361862DFE18.jpeg
    1ED2A5B8-1892-40C9-A0C3-E361862DFE18.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
If you are new to Red Angus it may be to your advantage to check with breeders in your area.
The heading is Red Angus Commercial Bull prospect so are you planning on taking him to a year
or 18 mo or years then selling him? The commercial bull business can be a difficult club to break
into with no experience.. Remember reputation lags behind and notoriety runs ahead of you.
Be sure of the type of animal you are willing to place your stamp on . You are the one who has to live
with the choice you make. I wish you well.

Would be a personal use bull is all. He can breed at 15months is my rule of thumb

Temperament is great. Yes raised bulls before different breeds nothing angus.
I'd use him a year or two and sell after that

Temperament is great. Yes raised bulls before different breeds nothing angus.
I'd use him a year or two and sell after that
Why retain an inferior bull? Then you just create more inferior calves. Band him (or cut him), eat him and use something that is a step forward in the type of cattle you want instead of a step back.

Your bull will be half of every calf you produce. No matter how good your cows are, your bull can bring that crashing down. It would depend a great deal on what bull he is out of and how productive his momma is. Don't always get hung up on how good he looks, especially before about 2 years old. It's more about the genetics than anything else, and those predictors are readily available these days. I'm not scared to use a bull that I raise, if I can be sure that his genetics are what I want to move forward with, not because he looks good or not that good. My worst looking bull produces my best calves currently, but he's backed by genetics.

Very new to red beef anything wondering thoughts on this little guy he's 4.5 months old at picture time.

Is he good enough to be a bull or just good burger? Lol
Let's wait to see him at 9 months...it does...but then it doesn't look promising in the bull's current state. He might get a little darker too...less red. I banded all my bulls at 1 or 2 months... all were from heifers this year....too small. Got to find the right mother, in addition to its father...for a keeper bull. A bull's born weight and size will get bigger as both the bull and cows age together....i have two cows and a bull in my herd where i might keep a bull from their stock...but 3 to 6 years down the road when they're bigger older and can produce a bigger bull.

Because of bad confirmation ? Hip?
too me, he lacks width in both the front and rear. I would doubt he will grow to have a good depth of rib. as @puzzled in oregon stated, he looks thin which I would be worried about offsping not growing as expected. Is the dam a low mik producer or is he just genetically a slow grower? either way, use a bull that will give you profitable offspring regardless whether they are for replacements or terminal.

First calf heifer she's struggling a bit
all getting 3rd cut alfalfa/ native grass mix now. Heifer was very young definitely an oops calf (neighbours bull)

He's very much steer material.

Nothing about him says Bull.

You can find a much better commercial bull. Red Angus are normally very fine animals from what I see around here.

Latest posts