Red Angus Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My husband and I currently jointly own 24 Red Angus cows. We would like to retire the bull, and replace him with a younger one. However, we would like to get a purebred Red Angus bull, as the current one is not. Basically all of the cows are crossed with something other than Red Angus, and as a matter of fact, many have part Santa-Gertrudis in them. We really like the dark reds best. Is it possible to get a purebred Red Angus that is dark, or are they all a light to medium red?
Also, we have considered getting a few purebred Red Angus heifers to mate with a purebred Red Angus bull, but are unsure how much it would profit us to do so. Would it be best to stay with the cross-breeds?
Any help on these subjects would be much appreciated.

Guest Hood":trwz9b0d said:
My husband and I currently jointly own 24 Red Angus cows. We would like to retire the bull, and replace him with a younger one. However, we would like to get a purebred Red Angus bull, as the current one is not. Basically all of the cows are crossed with something other than Red Angus, and as a matter of fact, many have part Santa-Gertrudis in them. We really like the dark reds best. Is it possible to get a purebred Red Angus that is dark, or are they all a light to medium red?
Also, we have considered getting a few purebred Red Angus heifers to mate with a purebred Red Angus bull, but are unsure how much it would profit us to do so. Would it be best to stay with the cross-breeds?
Any help on these subjects would be much appreciated.

There are some pretty dark colored Red Angus, but generally not as dark as say a dark Hereford. But dark red is kind of one of those eye of the beholder things.
A seedstock producer can better address the addition of registered cows. We have some registered and use all either Red Angus or Polled Hereford bulls (with the exception of on SImmenthal as an experiment this year) and treat them all as commercial cattle. We don;t have the significant market for registerd heifers or bulls for that matter, in this area. But the crossbreds sell well and those that don't make the program as a breeding animal end up going to the feedlot along with all of the steers. All bulls are cut, period!
We have the benefit of the registered cows so we know where we're coming from and use all registered bulls (AI) so we know where we're going.

dun

The cross thing is up to you. The dark red blood lines usually come from black outcrosses. Basin Sensation 702E or 5L Norsemen King for example.

If you are just going to be raising them to sel as commercial calves at the sale barn, then you should stay with the crossbreds.

TO: Original poster

There is a Red Angus sale in norhtern MO 9/4/04. Besides the registered 1A and 1B, the will also have some commercial 1/2 Red Angus heifers and a number of registered bulls. It's put on by the MO Red Angus association, they're a good bunch of folks and you sure won't be disappointed with the selection. Their srping sale the stuff went hgiher then I was comfortable with and this sale will proabably be the same. But you will definitley get your moneys worth.
This isn't really advertising because I don't have anything to sell and don;t even belong to the association. Consider it a just a highly recommended source of good Red Angus cattle.

dun

I think a good polled hereford bull would be great on your cows, unless you don't like baldys.
Unless you want to try to become a seedstock producer, crossbreeding always helps.

Hillbilly

I know someone with a beautiful red angus bull for sale in central Arkansas. If I were looking for a red angus I would consider him. He should be ready for service by spring. E-mail me if you would like his phone number.

Latest posts