Red Angus Cattle Video

Help Support CattleToday:

Julian

Reaction score
Hello,

Thought I would share a link to a minute long video my wife took today of me and our registered Red Angus cattle.

The female on the left is our Lana female. She's a frame 5.5 and is a two year old. Her calf was born on 2/25/07.

The female I am scratching is our Blossom female. She had a yearling frame of 4.5 and is due with her first calf in September. Hopefully it will be an A.I. calf by Mushrush Julian 1005.

The female in front of her is a yearling daughter of B571. She is an ET calf that is a 3/4 sibling to Buf Crk Romeo.

The female to the right is our Zena female. She had a yearling frame 5 and is due with her first calf in September. Hopefully it will be an A.I. calf by Mushrush Julian 1005.

Keep in mind that I am 6"7" tall and weigh 325 pounds. So the cattle may be a little bigger than one would think if they didn't know how big I am. Plus, there is a forward slop to the lot they are in.

OK, here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb1ASLl_gO8

Julian":wvqac938 said:
She's a frame 5.5 and is a two year old.
She had a yearling frame of 4.5
She had a yearling frame 5

Regardless of how tall you are, frame 5.7 and below are a bit small for me. Like someone said in another thread they dont want to have to stand on a crate to AI, but I certainly dont want to have to bend over either. To each his own.

Nice cattle, looks like they are doing good and have GREAT disposition.

ilfarmer92":jiekr196 said:
Julian":jiekr196 said:
She's a frame 5.5 and is a two year old.
She had a yearling frame of 4.5
She had a yearling frame 5

Regardless of how tall you are, frame 5.7 and below are a bit small for me. Like someone said in another thread they dont want to have to stand on a crate to AI, but I certainly dont want to have to bend over either. To each his own.

Nice cattle, looks like they are doing good and have GREAT disposition.

Here were their respective yearling weights:
Frame 5.5 = 986
Frame 5.0 = 967
Frame 4.5 = 792
They are probably heavier-quartered and wider-topped than what most are used to seeing. If this type of cattle were frame 6 to 7 they would be too large for what we are trying to do.
--Julian

To each his own is right, but I don't see how you can complain about these cattle. They are not "midget" cattle and will grow into cows that are plenty big enough. I'll take my weight in width any day. Nice cattle Dwight. People need to realize that you are tall, which makes the cattle look smaller than they are. Keep up the good work. Great looking cattle!

For what its worth, I think you are spot on with your frame size and phenotype, I would not recommend going any smaller, though. They are nice and wide over the top and have good capacity.

I am prejudiced, but those are nice cattle.

Glad to see the video.

I think when folks say "they are too small", they don't realize the composition of the cattle and how it contributes to weight.

They might be "too small" for some conception of frame score, but they are about the right weight.

If some of these frame 6 cattle had the same composition, they would be 1400-1500 pounds.

Or if frame 6 cattle only weigh 1,200-1,300 pounds, they are pretty poor in their composition.

I don't see how you can go too far wrong with cattle like that.

I've seen similar composition animals that are actually related to these used in a crossbreeding system and the progeny were slaughtered at less than 12 months of age, and were 90+% Choice and above and 100% YG 3 and less. They were just a tick under 1,300 pounds.

The right composition can get you a long ways. Most cattle don't have it.

Badlands

They aren't bad cattle by ANY means. I really like them, they just arent my size. Sorry if my comment sounded rude or anything... just personal preference.

Intersting I think in the near future ranchers are gonna be making sale videos on you tube if there not already.

There are many companies that do this prefessionally. I for one would not link my farm to "you tube" I would have a prefessional come do it.

I went to AI school with a guy about your size. He sold replacement heifers to commercial cattle. He was setting up his AI palpation chute with a false floor that he could flip up just so he could reach them.

Nice heifers BTW. The 4.5 is a little short to me but the other are just fine. ;-)

Tod Dague":8r2ui3kv said:
I went to AI school with a guy about your size. He sold replacement heifers to commercial cattle. He was setting up his AI palpation chute with a false floor that he could flip up just so he could reach them.

Nice heifers BTW. The 4.5 is a little short to me but the other are just fine. ;-)

I don't understand why 4.5 is too short? the difference between 4.5 and 5.5 is 2 inches. 1 inch of the difference comes from the space between the belly and the ground.

The difference between 4 and 6 frames is 4 inches. get out a ruler and see if that really matters. I'm not picking on anyone in particular but is seems that we are being mighty picky for less than 4 inches. Heck give me a boxy, meat fertile 4 frame cow over a straight sided 6 frame any day.

handydandy":1lo5o3bt said:
The difference between 4 and 6 frames is 4 inches. get out a ruler and see if that really matters. I'm not picking on anyone in particular but is seems that we are being mighty picky for less than 4 inches. Heck give me a boxy, meat fertile 4 frame cow over a straight sided 6 frame any day.

How about a boxy, meaty, fertile 6 frame cow?

Nothing wrong with that sort of cow, frankie.

She will weigh 1400-1500 easily, though.

And that is at BCS 5. If she was at BCS 6, she would be 1600 of a little better, so getting pretty hefty.

BCS is adjusted at 80 pounds for every score, but that is really based on about an 1100 pound cow, so if they are bigger, each BCS change would weigh more since it takes more to cover her.

Nothing wrong with a big cow, if she is a GOOD big cow.

The trouble is these cows that are 1300 pounds at frame 6-there is just nothing to them.

If you listen to the talk, everybody talks about 6 frame, 1200 pound cows. Those kind flat out suck, there is nothing to them.

ilfarmer, I sure didn't mean to make it sound like I was putting you on the spot.

Badlands

handydandy":ot2y7qha said:
Tod Dague":ot2y7qha said:

I don't understand why 4.5 is too short? the difference between 4.5 and 5.5 is 2 inches. 1 inch of the difference comes from the space between the belly and the ground.

Because you have to draw a line somewhere. I try to keep my cattle between 5 and 6.

KMacGinley":4qg2l8ht said:
Nice cattle, thick. If you no longer want them, I might makes some room for them at my place. :)

Thank you for the compliment. Please understand that if I was only 5'10" and 175 pounds these cattle would look A LOT bigger. Are you sure you would want them then? Would they be TOO BIG? :lol:

You are welcome to e-mail me and I will keep you posted on bulls and semen in the future.
--Julian