Red Angus bulls to use

Help Support CattleToday:

goddy

Reaction score
I'm going to AI our Red Angus and Red Baldy cows this year and was perusing the Pharo bull list and saw a few I liked ( we are doing grass finished beef for direct sale ) and wondered if there were opinions ( good and bad ) of Colorado Hobo , Johnny Be Good and Marias ?
thanks
Goddy

I have one pacesetter son, did have two, they were full brothers. I think Pacesetter was a Hobo son. Easy fleshing, easy keeping, moderate cattle that really do well. I have kept 40 some heifers out of these bulls the last few years and they are some of the best cattle on the ranch.

Occ No Doubt is very good, and is very predictable in what you get. Cash crop is the one if you need heifers.

If I were picking a red angus bull to make females I wouldn't look further than Julians 'Steadfast Boaz' bull, a whole lot more potential than most anything else I've seen out there.

robert":1rnpvb01 said:
If I were picking a red angus bull to make females I wouldn't look further than Julians 'Steadfast Boaz' bull, a whole lot more potential than most anything else I've seen out there.

He makes some darned fine bulls too. I saw one at weaning off a Cherokee Canyon dtr that was outstanding.

goddy":tr19yl7o said:
I'm going to AI our Red Angus and Red Baldy cows this year and was perusing the Pharo bull list and saw a few I liked ( we are doing grass finished beef for direct sale ) and wondered if there were opinions ( good and bad ) of Colorado Hobo , Johnny Be Good and Marias ?
thanks
Goddy

The old Hobo bull is a proven commodity that is for sure, should not be to hard to find some out fits to speak to regarding the quality of the daughters. I saw him as a calf he was very complete. He originally sold to Dr. Jim Baker, Split Rock Ranch, Muddy Gap Wyoming, and survived in some of the toughest pasture I have ever seen mostly sand and rock. High desert, huge breeding pastures, up to 60 sections in size. Jim sold him back to Kit because Jim did not want to mess around with drawing and selling semen.

I have seen some calves out of red ribeye 308u, the calves that I have seen are really good. Take it with a grain of salt because I know nothing about epds and pedigree of red angus cattle, but the phenotype of the cattle were really good

oakcreekfarms":yuci3tj6 said:
I have seen some calves out of red ribeye 308u, the calves that I have seen are really good. Take it with a grain of salt because I know nothing about epds and pedigree of red angus cattle, but the phenotype of the cattle were really good
We have 2 Ribeye 308U sons. Both were born early January, I'll try and round up a few photos of them.

Dylan you are so right about Hobo if i remember correctly he was a 4.5 frame and weighed 2300 lbs I have used him and son's and grand son's.Tim Ohlde told me one time that the reason he used him was because of the lack of things he did wrong. Also what about that Bull Called Dylan have you used him, what can you tell us about him if you know.