Red Angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
wyoming11-27-08013.jpg

2 year old, FS 3.

Opinions? (He's not mine; you can't hurt my feelings.)

It's hard to judge by a picture, IMO, but I don't find him especially impressive for his age. What does he weigh?

Has a level top and appears to be carrying a good amount of muscle judging from his muscle definition and lack of fat in the brisket/dewlap. Curious if he is a Lancer F442 grandson.
--Julian

The 2 things that caught my eye are the poor feet and there is something about that butt that just doesn;t look quite right to me

This bull shows weak pasterns, is fine-boned, is pinched in the heart girth, lacks musculinity both in head appearance and crest for a two-year-old bull, and could be sickle-hocked. Surprisingly level topline, and not bad hindquarter muscling for the lack of body substance elsewhere.

DOC HARRIS

The bull is typical of an animal that was stunted because of a lack of nutrition or who was being worked too hard at a young age. He will eventually grow out of this stunted look and be much more desireable, but probably won't ever reach the weight and size of his genetic potential.

He has some very good points and a few structural problems as well, won't say he is absolutely horrible, but he certainly isn't desireable either.

No bone, no length, no masculinity, some butt, not great feet.

BUT WHAT A TOPLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better collect him tomorrow!

Weight... I'm not sure. Were I to guess, I'd say he's 1200 or thereabouts, but I could be wrong. At a FS 3 he can't be that heavy.

I do like the capacity he shows but would like to see stronger pasterns and more masculinity. Just doesn't look bull enough for me. Do like the topline though.

I'll go along with him being stunted, his head is out of proportion to his body to me. Along with the other faults folks mentioned, he doesn't do much for me.

Just for my curiousity, what frame cows is he running with if he's being used? And why is a fs 3 attractive to this particular owner?

He has failed in having his fill of groceries in the past. Good top bad butt,feet and just needs tlc. would not put money on him and take home, but have a few times on some about like him and regretted it.

KMacGinley":vcpjrqcl said:
Looks like a typical Pharo bull to me.

Have you seen a lot of Pharo's bulls? All I have seen is pictures from his sale flyers and they didn't look like that.

3waycross":3ke5umus said:
KMacGinley":3ke5umus said:
Looks like a typical Pharo bull to me.

Have you seen a lot of Pharo's bulls? All I have seen is pictures from his sale flyers and they didn't look like that.

Friend of mine has one and it doesn;t look like that either, but it's sure is a squatty little thing

Friend of mine has one and it doesn;t look like that either, but it's sure is a squatty little thing[/quote]

Well like someone said the other day there is no EPD for soup bones and shanks. Of course they can sure get to be TOO short but this RA bulls problem is not only that he is too SHORT. He just looks panko'd. I wouldn't breed him to anything I own for any reason.

Pharo must be doin something right, people keep buying his bulls and his philosophy. I personally think for the most part he's on pretty solid ground. What's wrong with easy fleshing cattle that are good doers without a lot of inputs? I understand nobody wants midgets but it's supposed to be about converting grass into beef and from what I hear his bulls do that very well.

Latest posts