Red angus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
My neighbor has 3 bulls 15-16 months old for sale.
This is my pick
It's the only picture he'd stand still for
What are you thoughts

Pretty nice. I liked the looks of the little bull you raised just as well though.

Bigfoot":ep06tqz6 said:
Pretty nice. I liked the looks of the little bull you raised just as well though.

I carried him to the sale last Friday.
I decided to take what he brought and a little out of pocket and buy a bull.
Bull sale coming up in a couple weeks so I may shop a little more

It;s hard to tell from the picture and it might just be the angle. The first bull to me looks cat hammed, that would be a definite no go for me.

dun":pvlnlh37 said:
It;s hard to tell from the picture and it might just be the angle. The first bull to me looks cat hammed, that would be a definite no go for me.

Might be
I'll have to look at him again
The other one seems short coupled if that's the right term

Ebenezer":1aqt6q99 said:
What do you want them to do? Did you look at the dams? A picture of a bull is a picture of a bull.

I want him to breed cows :D terminal bull
I'm not sure on which exact one belongs to which cow but I've seen the cows and know the bull they're out of

Cross-7":17f4vmqv said:
Ebenezer":17f4vmqv said:
What do you want them to do? Did you look at the dams? A picture of a bull is a picture of a bull.

I'm not sure on which exact one belongs to which cow but I've seen the cows and know the bull they're out of
Haha. Why red for terminal bull?

RanchMan90":1n9c7nhm said:
Cross-7":1n9c7nhm said:
Ebenezer":1n9c7nhm said:

All things being equal on a red calf vs a black calf
I'd don't think we are getting the big premium on black calves like we were a few years back
But the main reason for looking at these bulls are they are close by and I like the price.

Cross-7":1cmb8jfn said:
RanchMan90":1cmb8jfn said:
Cross-7":1cmb8jfn said:

All things being equal on a red calf vs a black calf
I'd don't think we are getting the big premium on black calves like we were a few years back
But the main reason for looking at these bulls are they are close by and I like the price.
I notice about a $20 per cwt difference here on weaned cattle, not as much on feeders. Not questioning you, just don't want you to sell yourself short. The reds do make some good low maintenance maternal cows.

I'm really seeing the pendulum swing to a certain degree. In just lumber as it were, black outpaces red by a lot. In the truly elite sets of cattle at the videos, an outstanding set of reds will very often top their weight class. Been doing so for a couple years now. Top to bottom, Red Angus has done as good of job or better than any of the other breed associations and its starting to show.
No bias here, while I buy for stockers and feeders a lot of Red Angus cattle, we own exactly zero Red Angus bulls. Though that may change as we've been doing some ranch visits and exploring what a transition from Black to Red Angus for the Angus component of our bull battery may look like and have been talking a bit with breeders we've identified who produce the quality of bulls we'd want in the sort of volume we need.

Lot more good reds north of the border too, As we didn't seem to get as caught up in the 'everything needs to be black craze'.

js1234":39vg1cfm said:
I'm really seeing the pendulum swing to a certain degree. In just lumber as it were, black outpaces red by a lot. In the truly elite sets of cattle at the videos, an outstanding set of reds will very often top their weight class. Been doing so for a couple years now. Top to bottom, Red Angus has done as good of job or better than any of the other breed associations and its starting to show.
No bias here, while I buy for stockers and feeders a lot of Red Angus cattle, we own exactly zero Red Angus bulls. Though that may change as we've been doing some ranch visits and exploring what a transition from Black to Red Angus for the Angus component of our bull battery may look like and have been talking a bit with breeders we've identified who produce the quality of bulls we'd want in the sort of volume we need.

Im no expert or want to build a better cow type, but a few years back the black angus went the way of bigger is better as to the red angus guys stayed on course.
IMO I think the red angus are better cows because of that.
In Sw Oklahoma lots of ranches have went to red angus cows.
I see more red cows than black in my area.
Still lots of black bulls and black calves though

Has anyone went through the choice+grid program with Tyson for red Angus? There's several yards in the panhandle that feed out for them

Cross-7":1d2mhlmv said:
js1234":1d2mhlmv said:

Im no expert or want to build a better cow type, but a few years back the black angus went the way of bigger is better as to the red angus guys stayed on course.
IMO I think the red angus are better cows because of that.
In Sw Oklahoma lots of ranches have went to red angus cows.
I see more red cows than black in my area.
Still lots of black bulls and black calves though
I don't disagree. The majority of cows are black where we run but reds have gone from just the old school holdouts to a noticeable minority, perhaps 15-20%.