Red Angus bull photo

Help Support CattleToday:

BRG

Reaction score
We have only ever showed one other bull before, and that isn't our business. We raised this bull and I think he is as good of and as classy of a bull we have ever raised, so we are taking him to the Denver Stock Show in January. He is out of one of our top cow familes, and a son of WR Mr. Red Dawg 5335

LMG Gills Vin Diesel 7611
BW: 80 lbs
BW Ratio: 93
WW: 801 lbs
WW Ratio: 121

LMG_Gills_Vin_Diesel_7611.JPG

Very nice bull....this is what a beef bull should look like.

The only problem I see is that he is a performance bull and not a show bull. Lots of muscle, thickness, depth of body and spring of rib. The things that you and I as every other cattle producer want but based on what I saw at the NAILE last month that is not what the show industry is looking for. As far as the show side I think they will say his neck is too short, he is too heavy in the front end and that he is probably over conditioned as he looks too full based on his natural spring of rib which most judges have never seen. Someone may even accuse you of pumping him.

I hope I am wrong but good luck and no matter what happens keep raising those type of bulls as we need more of that type of bull in the beef industry.

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not one word about him being swaybacked 8)

Seriously he is one very nice bull. I will leave it to others to find something wrong with him. :cowboy:

Very nice bull. lots of muscle there. Congrats.

One question, BW is 80 lbs ...that's like 40 kilos ?
I know that show cattle must have lots of bone, if you want to have oportunity in a Show you must have plenty of bone and structure and for that you need heavy calfs. At least that was what I heard from much more experienced people than I, is this statement correct ?

Good luck and let us know your performance at the Denver Show :cboy:

L

3waycross":enpx21st said:

IMO his head is cranked in such an un-natural position that it wouldn't be fair to him to call it either way. A couple things that strike me off the bat is I'd like him to be deeper in his rear flank and bolder in his heart girth. He does look like a very high performing bull. Another thing that they might find fault with him is his SLIGHTLY sloping hip structure. I think he'll do fairly well though and I wish you the best of luck.

Lorenzo, this is from google:

80 pounds = 36.2873896 kilograms
801 pounds = 363.327488 kilograms

We didn't raise him to show, but he is going to go to one. We are not going to go to the show to win, we are going to take him there to promote him and his sire. If he does good in the ring, that is even better.

Thanks for the compliments!!!

We are planning on trying to sell 50% semen interest in the bull at the Mile High Classic Auction at Denver.

3waycross":6slxu76f said:

I think he is just standing at an akward angle with his head in the clouds. Have his feet under him square and head at a normal level, and I think he would look even better.

Nice bull.

CPL":2d2vtxkw said:
3waycross":2d2vtxkw said:

IMO his head is cranked in such an un-natural position that it wouldn't be fair to him to call it either way. A couple things that strike me off the bat is I'd like him to be deeper in his rear flank and bolder in his heart girth. He does look like a very high performing bull. Another thing that they might find fault with him is his SLIGHTLY sloping hip structure. I think he'll do fairly well though and I wish you the best of luck.
I know that it doesn't help in the show ring but IMO cattle should have some slope in the hip.

CPL":396hklxk said:
3waycross":396hklxk said:

Patience! He is still growing.

Baxter,

Here is what I have.

BD: 05/24/2007
YW Ratio: 119
REA Ratio: 120
IMF Ratio: 85
1.18 square inches of REA/cwt
Frame - 6
Scrotal - 39

BRG":35ykdcke said:
Baxter,

Here is what I have.

BD: 05/24/2007
YW Ratio: 119
REA Ratio: 120
IMF Ratio: 85
1.18 square inches of REA/cwt
Frame - 6
Scrotal - 39

I'm surprised that his REA is that low coming from your cattle. If I remember right your bulls usually have a pretty large ribeye.

3waycross":3bkl4wmj said:

Seriously he is one very nice bull. I will leave it to others to find something wrong with him. :cowboy:
maybe time too just set back and enjoy looking at a good bull.........and not beat him too death

What, he has a big REA? 1.18 sq inches/cwt is way above industry average and amongst his contemporaries. Packers want at least 1 square inch where he is 1.18. He does have a lower IMF though.

BRG":2qfrqs2z said:
What, he has a big REA? 1.18 sq inches/cwt is way above industry average and amongst his contemporaries. Packers want at least 1 square inch where he is 1.18. He does have a lower IMF though.

I guess that would be a difference in opinions. I don't think 1.18 would be considered big or way above industry average.

Don't get me wrong...I like your bull but just thought he would of had a larger rea maybe a 1.3 or 1.4. based on his picture.

Latest posts