Red Angus bull on Black Angus cows

Help Support CattleToday:

KS Cattle

Reaction score
We picked up a Red Angus bull to put on mostly BA cows. Is there a difference other than the color?

One gene is the only difference technically. The reds just havent been twisted around in every possible direction as much as the balcks in my openion.

KS Cattle":1xqwx8dj said:
We picked up a Red Angus bull to put on mostly BA cows. Is there a difference other than the color?
KS Cattle-

The fact that the Red Angus BREED was developed originally from the Black Angus BREED would tend to make one think that there was little difference between the two BREEDS, but, as I have indicated by stressing the word "BREED", there is certainly a difference between the two breeds. The most effective way to differentiate the differences would be to go on the web and bring up the Associations which represent the two breeds. Go to the Green Pane on the left side of the Cattle Today front page, scroll down until you get to Breed Associations, and select that site. Then you have access to both American Angus Association, (Black Angus), and Red Angus Association of America (Red). Select each in turn, and read their information.

The color is the most obvious, however there are significant differences between individuals within each breed as differentiated phenotypically and by EPD's.

What are your goals insofar as selecting a Red Angus Bull to mate to Black Angus Cows? What traits and characteristics does the Red Angus Bull posess which prompted your selecting this particular bull as your choice? What traits are you proposing to accentuate? Did your selection choices incorporate cross-breeding for heterosis purposes? What traits and characteristics are you wishing to achieve that either breed does not possess? What quality Black Angus cows do you have at the present time? Are you planning to retain Replacement heifers, or is this strictly a Terminal operation? Could you give us the Registration Number of the Red Angus Bull you will be using? ...Or...are you planning a Composite Breeding Program. If so, what OTHER breed are you planning to incorporate in the three-way mix?

I am looking forward to your answers. :)

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts