Red Angus Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

We've never used him, and I looked back to see if anything we've ever bought was out of him and they aren't. I can't remember exactly why we haven't. Sorry, I'm not much help for you.

I think he is a pretty good bull. He is very easy to look at, might be bigger than some like, but has good muscle, feet and legs. He is out of a good, easy doing, correct Grand Canyon daughter, that I really liked when I saw her. I have had a few bulls out of him, and they were easy to sell to our commercial customers.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3jcyf69o said:
So is he considered a maternal bull? What about his sire? Easy fleshing? You say he is possibly too big. What would you say his frame score is?

I said he is possibly to big for some guys, but he isn't for me. I am guessing his frame is mid 6's, just a guess though. Some would say he isn't very maternal since his sire's milk epd is real low, but I wouldn't have a problem keeping daughters, since I know who is dam is and I would match him up to some better milking type cows. His sire is extremely thick made and classy looking. Like I said, I have had some calves out of him in the past, and I wouldn't be afraid to use him again.

We used the sire of Avalanche. Daughters were poor milkers (nice udders though) and the three sons that we halter broke were some of the most challenging I have ever dealt with. They weren't bad in the pasture, just didn't like to be handled. The calves were very thick and sold well, but didn't use him again. Maybe if he swings to his mothers sdie he would be ok; but probably wouldn't consider him a maternal bull.

Santas and Duhram Reds":t3llv96i said:
Any idea what his SC is/was?

No I don't know, but typically Pieper Red Angus (they raised Avalanche and owned his sire) have large scrotal bulls, lot in the upper 30's and around 40. I know they are very picky on that. So just a guess, but I would say it was large.

We have only one daughter from a cow we bought at Piepers. She has had two calves and both were well below average at weaning. Not much muscle on her or milk. She will probably be culled. One head, doesn't mean much, but that's all I have experience with.

Latest posts