Red Angus Association of America approves gene-edited traits

Help Support CattleToday:

J+ Cattle

Reaction score
I guess with gene editing we can all have the best animals in the breed

Maybe in the future the cattle buyer doesn't want your cattle unless they have been gene edited for feed efficiency or growth rate, carcass traits, etc.
What do you foresee as future trends in the cattle industry?

J+ Cattle

Any cow I have owned in the past 20 years has had or have Red Angus influence. (not intended for a promo,,)
In my unsolicited opinion RAAA is trying to market a 'concept' that without including emphasis on fertility, is
destined to failure. No product is so good that it cannot be improved and I would include quality control as
prime in that objective.

I'm not a fan either, I don't think the scientist know as much as they think they know and bad things are going to result.
Change always seems to bring unforeseen consequences.
The classic example: Genetic selection to increase breast meat in turkeys resulting in commercial turkey breeds being so top heavy that they are unable to mate naturally and can only be reproduced using A.I.

I am okay with gene editing because God gave man dominion over animals.
But we need to proceed with caution. Because we can, doesn't mean we should.
The Intelligent Design of animals included adaptive mutation, giving them the ability to slowly adapt as needed, pure genius. I think we should take our cue from that and not be in a rush to over do it.

The one trait I can see having a positive impact, without creating disruption, is gene editing of the horned gene. Beyond that, editing of other traits will require thoughtful study to act with wisdom.

Last edited:
Change always seems to bring unforeseen consequences.
The classic example: Genetic selection to increase breast meat in turkeys resulting in commercial turkey breeds being so top heavy that they are unable to mate naturally and can only be reproduced using A.I.

I am okay with gene editing because God gave man dominion over animals.
But we need to proceed with caution. Because we can, doesn't mean we should.
The Intelligent Design of animals included adaptive mutation, giving them the ability to slowly adapt as needed, pure genius. I think we should take our cue from that and not be in a rush to over do it.

The one trait I can see having a positive impact, without creating disruption, is gene editing of the horned gene. Beyond that, editing of other traits will require thoughtful study to act with wisdom.
I agree that just because we can doesn't mean we should. Gene editing kind sounds like trying to play God.
I can't recall the source, but read a while back that there were some concerns about the composition of some cattle that had been gene edited. There were either other parts to the sequence missing or had been replaced with foreign material.

I'm sure that everything that is being done is with the best of intentions but the horned/polled gene is just a "proof of concept" to what is to come next.
Did you know that there's a company that raised salmon completely isolated from the ocean, most salmon farming is done in the ocean but this company isn't allowed to do it in the ocean because their salmon are GMO. They have edited the gene for growth, actually my understanding is that they have replaced the gene with a gene from another species of fish to make it grow faster.

How long before they are doing this with cattle, maybe they have already tried and we don't know it yet. With top EPD bulls bringing in big money how long before someone edits a few genes to have the new best bull that will make them lots of money selling semen?

Latest posts