Rectal Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
:?: Okay...have got a bit of a dilemna toady.
One of my breds has had a slight rectal prolapse that has now escalated into a six inch bloody mess.
My question is:
Has anyone had any luck getting a rectal prolapse to stay put after putting it all back in?
(We just had our first uterine prolapse in years in another cow yesterday at 5 am - put the uterus back in, threw a couple of stitches at her, and so far so good, up and nursing her calf. She threw out her calfbed because she had calved with her back down too low and in struggling to get up, strained too hard and threw her uterus out.).
The cow with the rectal prolapse is about three weeks from calving, and a hell of a producer, but if the outlook is grim, I'll just ship her tomorrow.
Thanks.

CattleAnnie":1f57ltuv said:
One of my breds has had a slight rectal prolapse that has now escalated into a six inch bloody mess.
My question is:
Has anyone had any luck getting a rectal prolapse to stay put after putting it all back in?
(We just had our first uterine prolapse in years in another cow yesterday at 5 am - put the uterus back in, threw a couple of stitches at her, and so far so good, up and nursing her calf. She threw out her calfbed because she had calved with her back down too low and in struggling to get up, strained too hard and threw her uterus out.).
The cow with the rectal prolapse is about three weeks from calving, and a hell of a producer, but if the outlook is grim, I'll just ship her tomorrow.
Thanks.

i worked for a vet in high school & college & we saw quite a few of these. you can clean it & push it back in & see if it'll stay on it's own. if not, you may need to stitch it up. if you have to stitch, the stitches will need to be cut when she goes in labor so the calf can fit out. one thing that can help on that is if you see her bagging up & know she's close, the vet can give you a couple of shots to induce......w/this, they'll usually calve in 24 hours (inducing just gives you a closer window to watch & cut the stitches). if you're able to keep an eye on her, since she's that close to calving, i would keep her until she calves & then sell her & the calf in a couple of months.

CattleAnnie":6t6kml3i said:
My question is:
Thanks.

I've never seen one of our cows have a rectal prolapse but we did have a Bull calf ( ~ 2 months old ) have one. Took him to the Vet. and he sewed him up, he lived and seemed to be doing alright but you could see something was not right. Ended up making hamberger out of him, figured he would get docked pretty hard at the sale barn.

;-)

Okay, that was one of the grosser moment around here.
After much struggle, twice as many swear words, disgusting sound effects, eyes watering from the aroma, and dodging squirting streams of serum and effluvem, managed to get the rectum back. It popped out. So back into the fray. And it popped out again. More swearing. Lots of it. On the umpteenth try finally managed to get the pesky portrudence to stay put. Used the serpentine needle to sew a square - purse type of stitch and drew most of the slack. Thank God it didn't escape again...although the burbling sounds were mighty ominous.
Two Words: Disssssss Gustingggggg! Two More: Pooooooor Cow (ouch)
The good news is it's stayed put now for over 24 hrs, and she can have normal bowel movements. Just trying to imagine that being something of importance when I was in High School.... Time is definately the great perspective changer.
Take care.