Rectal Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

lgfarms

Reaction score
One of my yearling herd sire prospects came up yesterday with a nasty rectal prolapse. Gave a dose of banamine and called the vet. He has not went off feed or water.

Have any of you ever seen this happen in a young bull? Should I be worried about keeping this bull because of relapse of this condition when he's actually put to work?

I'm thinking expensive freezer beef right now, but going to wait for the vet's opinion today.

I've not ever seen it personally, but I myself wouldn't keep a bull and use it that had done it. It could be genetic, then your passing that trait on.

Are you sure he's able to poop? There was another thread asking this a few months back, and I don't know what happened to their calf, but I think most of them have problems of defacating so you have to make a hasty decision of freezer beef or packer.

lgfarms":1zfnta2w said:
One of my yearling herd sire prospects came up yesterday with a nasty rectal prolapse. Gave a dose of banamine and called the vet. He has not went off feed or water.

Have any of you ever seen this happen in a young bull? Should I be worried about keeping this bull because of relapse of this condition when he's actually put to work?

I'm thinking expensive freezer beef right now, but going to wait for the vet's opinion today.

Yep have seen it usually caused by to much protien what you have is a constipated bull. Now due to poor management haul him to the salebarn, turn him into frog skins and go buy another one.

It's not necessarily due to poor management. It's not all that unusual if he was in a set of young bulls that do a lot of riding. Talk to your vet about it, but I wouldn't be so quick to cut his throat and put him in the freezer.

Texan":thdq42tx said:
It's not necessarily due to poor management. It's not all that unusual if he was in a set of young bulls that do a lot of riding. Talk to your vet about it, but I wouldn't be so quick to cut his throat and put him in the freezer.

Agreed. I did a little bit of reading up on it the other day in the Merck Vet Manual... boss had a 1st trimester cow have a rectal prolapse following a preg check. First time I'd ever seen it happen for any reason. Cow was stitched back up and looks OK now. Guess it was just a fluke thing.

Had an eight year old have a vaginal prolapse about a week ago. As soon as her calf is weened I'm going to ship her, b/c it is genetic. I'd look at this way. If you have problems with a cow or bull don't keep them. It's impossible to have a trouble free herd, but I do my best to keep it to a minimum. It can be costly at times, but it's better than having problems everytime you go to check on the cows.

Had a couple anal prolapse a few years ago during this time of year one bull calf in the bull lot and a brood cow in the pasture. I had started supplementing with liquid feed . Called the Vet out claimed they were getting to much protien I had a couple that would just stay on the feeder and they prolapsed.
Vet was able to repair both of them stated they would probablly prolapse again in there life, they took the last ride.

Texan hit the nail on the head. Vet stitched him up with a nice purse stitch and told me to hit him with penicillin when it took the stitch out. Said he should recover fine and he would have no problem using him for a herd bull.

i had one vaginal prolapse last year before she gave birth the year before she would bulge when she layed down. i had one that was headed that way she was bulging before she calved. when she calved you would have never known. i will not mess with anymore both went to the sale barn. on the cows it gets worse every year. i have seen several go through the sale with rectal prolapse.