Recording Birthweights

Help Support CattleToday:

Runaway Deere":26z4k8l1 said:
Fetlock tape has proven accurate enough for us so far, it was recommended to me by a professional. So far we are happy with it

yep thats what I have always used.

Very good picture!

I think the way you're carrying it is much harder, of course on 65 lbs it's not that hard, but I put my arms on the outside of it's legs, then I can interlock my fingers together to hold it. On a calf that size I'd probably sling it over my shoulder!

Commercial outfit here; Ordinarily, I only weigh big DEAD calves, on the rare occasion we have them. All I really care is that they get here alive, get up and nurse.
But, we did a progeny-test breeding trial for a purebred operation last spring, and had to collect birthweights as part of the agreement. Synched & AIed 20 head; 18 took - and all calved in about a week's time period - just as we got hit with an ice/snow storm. Weighed as branguscowgirl stated - piece of plywood and a bathroom scale. I'd pick up the calf, hand it to my wife, and have her step up on the scale. Biggest problem was the glare from the snow - made it hard to read the LED readout; had to do several of them 2 or 3 times to get 'shading' in the right orientation to be able to read the weight.
Don't think we want to do that again - though there was only one cow in the group that gave us any concern, and she wasn't really all that scary about it.

branguscowgirl":18ro4zde said:
Awe Toro, that is a "priceless" photo! Very cute!
Nice looking cow, calf and pastures also!
all that's missing is the halter and show stick!!

torogmc81":3b7e579c said:
branguscowgirl":3b7e579c said:
Yep, better get her one! :D
She has the right outfit on for a farm girl. Shorts and rubber boots!

branguscowgirl":3ts9t0rs said:
torogmc81":3ts9t0rs said:
branguscowgirl":3ts9t0rs said:
Yep, better get her one! :D
She has the right outfit on for a farm girl. Shorts and rubber boots!
Just like her daddy, basketball shorts with the rubbers at 6am feeding steers. She's good with the heard, can't wait till she's bigger to start helping brush and more herd and show chores. She's got a baby sister on the way in two months, so we'll see if we can get another farm helper to join the team. It'll be exciting to see them start the 4-H Cloverbuds in a few years!!!

You sound like a proud pappa, and will be a great 4 H dad!! :D
My grand kids are just getting old enough to put them to work! ;-)

Latest posts