Record Keeping

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a GREAT phone app.
I tried one that cost about $25 for each phone (mine & my nephew). It was OK.
Now I'm using Edge Tech's "CalfBook". It is really good. You can download the app for free & try for 30 days. It has 3 levels you can purchase. Like $15/year. It can be downloaded to as many phones as you want (same cost). Records kept on their web site. Can open it on your computer to do most of your record inputs - or - record out in the fields on your phone. Every time you open it, it syncs the home base and all phones.
So, if my nephew records something in the field, it automatically gets updated on my phone & computer.
Has Cow list, bull list, semen tank(s), breeding, calving, calculates spreadsheets, etc.
I just got it a few months ago, and I am really, really impressed with it.
I have always kept a calendar, calving book (used to be supplied by Amer Simm Assn), another calving/breeding book supplied for by Genex that I carried out in the field for heat checks & breeding records.

customcattle":2mmju4fc said:
If there was an app out there that you could record on your phone or tablet in the field with, then sync it to a computer at home and be able to print records off would any of you who are using paper be open to using it?

If affordable and simple, that would be great and make record keeping easier. Especially since there are 4 of us checking the cows and for new calves.... papers keep getting lost.

R V":11pnc9nq said:
customcattle":11pnc9nq said:
If there was an app out there that you could record on your phone or tablet in the field with, then sync it to a computer at home and be able to print records off would any of you who are using paper be open to using it?

If affordable and simple, that would be great and make record keeping easier. Especially since there are 4 of us checking the cows and for new calves.... papers keep getting lost.
That is what CalfBook.com does. Try it for free.

Yup. Super simple. Apple or Android. I think it's $15 - $20 - $25 per year - with as many computer and phone access as you want - same money.
The "sharing" aspect is what is so great. Whatever my nephew, Phil, puts in, (or me) automatically syncs to everything else instantly. We can both be on it posting on different calves.

I use Angus mobile, goes in right when I weigh calf, all is done completly through registration.

I'm pretty anal about my record keeping. I have it on paper, in excel record sheets, and use a commercial program. I wish I were good enough to make my own program.

I like the commercial program for tracking animals individually. But it lacks when it comes to some of the data I would like to see shown about a cow's offspring. And I definitely doesn't keep a whole herd summary that I want to see.

So I created my own spreadsheet that summarizes each calf crop, and also one that has a page for each cow.

Then I keep paper records, cause I don't 100% trust that the computer stuff might not disappear.

sstterry":2o7r629n said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2o7r629n said:
I don't have a clue what you are talking about. What is/are "google docs'?

Sorry Jeanne, I just saw this. Google Docs is Googles version of Excel. It is free and all information is kept in the cloud.

I use Google sheets also, just for data collection between myself and my husband.That way no-one is duplicating info, and we both know what is going on. And, it is much handier than a paper book, because it seems like we always have our phone in our pocket, but the calving book always seemed to get left in the house, or in the barn. Whenever you needed it one place it was in another place.

And Google Sheets is totally customizable, and you can access it from any smart phone, tablet or computer at anytime. You can share the sheet with whomever you wish, also.