Record keeping what to use?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on new record keeping apps. I am looking something for for computer/smart phone, what do you recommend?

Cattlemax is one of the top end programs. Directly links with a few of the main breed associations.
CattleMax.com
But, there are others out there. Some breed associations offer record keeping programs. Simmental has some, but i have not tried it out yet.

We us Excel spreadsheets a lot. Once you get the hang formulas and formating, you can make your own reports and customize exactly to your needs.

Lost all my records in 2006. Had a crazy couple years after that. All my records are on google sheets. I 'hope" they are backed up there enough to never lose.

CattleMax

I've been using it for years. Very economical and easy to use and access. You can access it from your phone, laptop, or desktop.

How do you use or see the very expensive, way over priced, Excel ? Or, the better priced, but still hard to use, google shitts ? On a phone sized device in the field ?

Cattle Max. I've tried a couple others, they don't compare. Cattle Max on your smart phone,tablet, computer. Can be sinked to your tru-test scale.

greggy said:
How do you use or see the very expensive, way over priced, Excel ? Or, the better priced, but still hard to use, google be nice ? On a phone sized device in the field ?

I use a pen and pad still in the field and then enter my data in at home. I keep a tally book in the truck for day to day like calving. Some times I will print out sheets and use a clip board if working cattle or some thing.

With a cloud type, host service like onedrive you could pull it up off any device in the field and make changes... phone, tablet, laptop, etc.

You can buy the whole office 365 package of word, excel, etc for like $16 a mo. It has a file sharing system with in it also. I dont think that's very expensive at all. Especially since you can use excel spreadsheets for not only cattle, but tracking expenses, bank accounts, equipment service logs... the uses are endless.

16 a month may be cheap if you have a business or other use that makes money from Excel etc....I am not donating that sort of money to them when it can go in my or my livestocks mouth :)

I would use openoffice or google before MS products anyways, but....

This sort of thing means people may not have used a dedicated app, there is so only much anyone who uses a boring clunky spreadsheet can do.....I can see hundreds of tabs and sheets....lol...not for this black duck.

Ok, so I vac half my 6 month old sheep, move 25% to another paddock, wean 10 calves off milk, vac 15 calves, bring 5 new animals in, buy 5 different products from 5 different suppliers, all in one day....

Good luck with excel, sheets or notepad, with a decent app, I select animals treated in paddock A, ones in paddock B, some in C, give 2 different products too C, track costs and dates from all suppliers, track new animals and where they are, and then I can search 6 months later, what animals, in what paddock got treatment A, or feed B, C etc, and how much was spent, and how much has come in ///etc etc

So, I understand simple, but I do these sort of transactions often, no way in hell could I do them on a spreadsheet, unless sitting in an office and someone calling it in, and I am a newbie hack :)

What about your withholding for drugs, feeds, etc etc, what about...on and on..

I am not that old, my memory is good, my IT skills are way above most, the app I use smashes this all out of the park, and that is the free version, the paid one offers so much more, if I was making money, the app is so worth it, multiple users and multiple farms too....well, no way with the sheets, not unless your an excel expert, and if you were, the app would save you so much time, no way you would re invent the wheel.

I wish I started my own app years ago, I am too busy feeding now to even think about this :)

It is very complex, bit hard to get your head around, but it also will track things like sickness, isolation to areas of farm, all sires and dams etc etc...and no, I have not entered any ringworm data...that is in the noggin only ;-))

It will, sadly for many of us, tell us how much we are in the red too...lol

Just keep in mind, you cannot export data from free version, so that is a catch or gotcha maybe....it would not break me, but I have been caught out before when free things get closed down, or sold off....sure many of us have, so keep in mind....cause it can hold so much info, you would prob track things you normally would not....applying medications to select mobs, breeds, individuals etc is a perfect example, seems I never have everything lined up....

greggy said:
16 a month may be cheap if you have a business or other use that makes money from Excel etc....I am not donating that sort of money to them when it can go in my or my livestocks mouth :)

This sort of thing means people may not have used a dedicated app, there is so only much anyone who uses a boring clunky spreadsheet can do.....I can see hundreds of tabs and sheets....lol...not for this black duck.

Ok, so I vac half my 6 month old sheep, move 25% to another paddock, wean 10 calves off milk, vac 15 calves, bring 5 new animals in, buy 5 different products from 5 different suppliers, all in one day....

Good luck with excel, sheets or notepad, with a decent app, I select animals treated in paddock A, ones in paddock B, some in C, give 2 different products too C, track costs and dates from all suppliers, track new animals and where they are, and then I can search 6 months later, what animals, in what paddock got treatment A, or feed B, C etc, and how much was spent, and how much has come in ///etc etc

So, I understand simple, but I do these sort of transactions often, no way in be nice could I do them on a spreadsheet, unless sitting in an office and someone calling it in, and I am a newbie hack :)

I am not that old, my memory is good, my IT skills are way above most, the app I use smashes this all out of the park, and that is the free version, the paid one offers so much more, if I was making money, the app is so worth it, multiple users and multiple farms too....well, no way with the sheets, not unless your an excel expert, and if you were, the app would save you so much time, no way you would re invent the wheel.

I wish I started my own app years ago, I am too busy feeding now to even think about this :)

Does is export over in to another format?

I use WPS free, and One Drive

These are my files that I use to track our herd

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Arlk4eYI3hB6hww_kwPQ9Z3lMYFX

Brute 23 said:
greggy said:

So, I understand simple, but I do these sort of transactions often, no way in be nice could I do them on a spreadsheet, unless sitting in an office and someone calling it in, and I am a newbie hack :)

Does is export over in to another format?

That I do not know off hand, I will ask them what format export & import is in and if customizable etc

As above in my warning, it is not available in the free version, I will go check the web app later too, I have sent a question to them.

Latest posts