Record heat to record rains

Help Support CattleToday:

Looking at the maps it appears all your escape routes are cut off. Well, maybe you can get to Whistler?
nope, can't get to whistler, there was a slide by pemberton that took like 7 vehicles into the river, they're looking for the people AFAIK

We can still get to kamloops.. I have to go to Armstrong tomorrow, not really looking forward to the traffic though

That's some pretty serious washouts there Nesi. How did your farm fare?

Ken
cows were miserable, then it was 2" of wet snow..river coming down the driveway but otherwise things are fine

WOW that is some serious flooding and road damage. Thank goodness that you had water but nothing devastating at the farm. Since I am sure that your family is pretty self sufficient, and hopefully plans for weather and such so has plenty of food and staples on hand, I hope this will be a royal pain in the a$$ and nothing more. Have you brought the cattle home from summer pastures yet? Have you sold your calves for this fall? I liked the videos you did of the cattle coming home down the road a couple years ago.... we used to move a group of ours about a mile up the road from one pasture to another and they would practically run past the truck leading them to get to the new place each spring....

WOW that is some serious flooding and road damage. Thank goodness that you had water but nothing devastating at the farm. Since I am sure that your family is pretty self sufficient, and hopefully plans for weather and such so has plenty of food and staples on hand, I hope this will be a royal pain in the a$$ and nothing more. Have you brought the cattle home from summer pastures yet? Have you sold your calves for this fall? I liked the videos you did of the cattle coming home down the road a couple years ago.... we used to move a group of ours about a mile up the road from one pasture to another and they would practically run past the truck leading them to get to the new place each spring....
Oh yeah, we could easily spend a month here with no problem.. fresh milk would be the only thing lacking and I don't have any cows in milk right now... Calves are all sold, cows never leave the property, they just take the road to get around all the fields I don't want them in to get to the corrals

This year my boss cow had me worried.. she was the last to get home, TOTALLY out of breath, huffing and puffing.. I think she got shoved down a steep gravel bank and had to hike back up and catch up with the herd.. she turned out to be fine after she got to rest https://photos.app.goo.gl/eAvbCGnTTyKu6SxY6

If it wasn't for the winters/cold.... I think I would be as happy as a pig in mud in the "outback of nowhere that you are in". Less people the better. I am pretty tired of all the people moving in here now.... told my son it was time to move to the other side of Highland county because it is much more remote.....

Wow on the pics!!! But I did have to chuckle at the first one "Very slow traffic, reduce speed ahead". Ummm, I'm thinking the only traffic on that road would be a boat.
Glad you, your family and the livestock are okay!
there were in fact people out in boats!

If it wasn't for the winters/cold.... I think I would be as happy as a pig in mud in the "outback of nowhere that you are in". Less people the better. I am pretty tired of all the people moving in here now.... told my son it was time to move to the other side of Highland county because it is much more remote.....
Is there really that much difference between Virginia winters and where Nesi lives? I'd think the biggest problem would be the hotter summers where Nesi is, but Im not a fan of the heat.

Is there really that much difference between Virginia winters and where Nesi lives? I'd think the biggest problem would be the hotter summers where Nesi is, but Im not a fan of the heat.
I would think there is, if this is correct.

"What is the coldest month in Kamloops?

Kamloops has dry periods in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December. The warmest month is July with an average maximum temperature of 27°C (82°F).
The coldest month is December with an average maximum temperature of 0°C (33°F)."

I was once stationed in Norfolk Virginia and it was relatively cold, but not THAT dang cold.

I would think there is, if this is correct.

"What is the coldest month in Kamloops?

Kamloops has dry periods in January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November and December. The warmest month is July with an average maximum temperature of 27°C (82°F).
The coldest month is December with an average maximum temperature of 0°C (33°F)."

I was once stationed in Norfolk Virginia and it was relatively cold, but not THAT dang cold.
0C seems awful mild to me…. It's Nesi's summer heat that I couldn't manage.

It's not the just low that makes the difference, it's that 0°C (32°F) is the BC average High.
According to Weather dot com, Va's January average LOW is just a few degrees below freezing. -3°C.

I was in Chicago Ill area for a few winter months, and I did not find it all that cold, but the coldest place I ever spent time was Elk City Oklahoma. It's just a different kind of cold and the the friggin WIND never stops.

Any place I've ever been in the winter time that was close to water was too cold for me. When I was a kid my parents took me to Disneyland over Christmas. A cold spell moved in and I about froze to death. You can't escape that moist cold. I'm far more comfortable here at -20C on a sunny day with no wind. Far more comfortable.

I have a cousin who lives in Forks Washington. That is on north end of the coast side of the Olympic Peninsula. It rains 200 inches a year there. So the country is built to handle run off and the people who live there are used to rain. He posted pictures of water running down the street and across his yard. This is not in a hole or even on the flats. He has to be about 50. Lived in Forks all his life. He said he has never seen rain like they had the other day.

Any place I've ever been in the winter time that was close to water was too cold for me. When I was a kid my parents took me to Disneyland over Christmas. A cold spell moved in and I about froze to death. You can't escape that moist cold. I'm far more comfortable here at -20C on a sunny day with no wind. Far more comfortable.
-25C is about the limit of my tolerance.. I'm quite happy at -10 to -15C.. things are nicely frozen, cows are happy, stuff still starts. Humid and cold is misery indeed
I don't mind the heat, though this year was a little much.

I drove to Armstrong today, traffic wasn't too bad.. there were lots of D10 dozers, big excavators, and big culverts getting moved around though!.. gee, wonder where all that stuff is going!

Latest posts