Recommended irrigation options for small acreage

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I've got three paddocks with approximately 2 acres in each paddock that I rotate my animals through. I'd like to be able to irrigate them as needed. I'm looking for recommendations. I thought about a system similar to a lawn, but I'm guessing I would need different heads, and how do you keep the cattle from destroying heads that are above ground? I've also considered a small traveler that I would move from paddock to paddock. Anyone irrigated something similar with good results?

I have a couple of travelling irrigators that drag a 11/2" lay flat hose, over a 6hr period they will do an area 50m x 120m. They are very effective putting on about 12mm (1/2") of water in a pass.

Ken

I tried during last years drought. Bought 600' of 3/4" hose $500, booster pump $200, t-post sprinklers from TSC. I tried on about 3 acres.
Didn't see enough good results to do it again. Should have just spent that $ on hay....had to buy hay and feed it afterwards anyway.
Hope you'll have better results.

this is the type of unit I saw in action at a neighbors. I would say if you had a water source it would be a good investment

MR43BPP-KID.jpg

M-5":2o8wgetb said:
this is the type of unit I saw in action at a neighbors. I would say if you had a water source it would be a good investment

MR43BPP-KID.jpg

I've got a Kifco water reel a couple sizes bigger than this one. Works good, I power mine with a pto pump instead of the on board engine. It keeps a bit of alfalfa and some sweet corn well watered.

I have a reel like the one pictured. It is 2 inch hose 490 feet long. With two sets a day it will irrigate about 5 acres per day. Mine uses hydraulic pressure to operate the reel. One of my neighbors has a K-Line system. They work and move easily. I would look into one of those. Biggest issue most people have is they wait until it is too late to irrigate. Once things have dried out too much you will never be able to get it back. Also do you have enough water and are water rights required where you live.

for what you are looking to do, I'd got with standard 2" aluminum irrigation pipe and move it once a day, just don't leave it in the paddock where the cows are eating

Latest posts