Recommendations for electric fencing?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms":k5j99ufp said:
dun":k5j99ufp said:
Amazing the difference in luck with the various manufacturers. The neighbor goes through at least 1 parmak a year, don;t know the model numbers but they're pricey. He uses several of them in different places.

dun
You are right Dun, Seems that the shelf life depends a lot on lightning strikes.Secondly on the quality of the charger.The Zareba's IMO, are the flawed chargers, but, TSC has a pretty much "No question asked" repacement policy.

Red Snapper are pretty much in the same class as the Zreba's. I think some of these places sell the cheap chargers and after the pople have money invested in the putting up the wire they end up buying the priceier chargers to replace the junk ones that don;t last.

dun

Some of the old brands like "Bulldozer" were great. The advent of solid state, in a way is good, but the older fused units were easy to repair.Simply change out the Buss fuses.Good thing about the Parmak high end Solar model, is they will still charge even if there is no Sunlight, for a month.

I have used polytape with our cattle for years and it has worked well. I only buy Gallagher turbo tape, the cheap stuff from Dare is terrible, it shorts itself out and then of course no longer conducts beyond that point. Stafix poly tape may be OK? It is hard to tell theirs apart from Dare just by looking, but the turbotape is easy to identify. Never had a problem with the turbotape. We have one Gallagher solar unit and one connected to AC, both work well. The solar panel went out after a couple years, but it was warranteed for 5 yr and they replaced it quickly.

MrBilly":2cx9dtg9 said:
I have used polytape with our cattle for years and it has worked well. I only buy Gallagher turbo tape, the cheap stuff from Dare is terrible, it shorts itself out and then of course no longer conducts beyond that point. Stafix poly tape may be OK? It is hard to tell theirs apart from Dare just by looking, but the turbotape is easy to identify. Never had a problem with the turbotape. We have one Gallagher solar unit and one connected to AC, both work well. The solar panel went out after a couple years, but it was warranteed for 5 yr and they replaced it quickly.
MrBilly, good to know about the Gallagher's. I dont know anyone that owns one, but a brand that stands behind their product, is a brand to brag about.

MrBilly":2bficwqa said:

We tried the tape but had problems because of the wind vibrating it and breaking wires. We also use the Gallagher polywire, haven;t seen any real difference in the shock affect of the 6 or 9 wire stuff. But our ply runs are only 1/4 mile at the most

dun

When you say polywire is that the clothelines looking stuff like a rope?
When I went to the home and farm store the sales man recommended the white polyrope. He raised dairy goats and was quite pleased with it. He also steered me away from the zereba chargers and recommeded Parmac which is also what he used. His store did not carry Parmac but he told me to go to MFA.
I have a barbed wire perimeter and just want to keep the cows in. I know from personal experience that a deer can jump a 6' fence if they really want to.

jennibluis":sw6q93zs said:
When you say polywire is that the clothelines looking stuff like a rope?
When I went to the home and farm store the sales man recommended the white polyrope. He raised dairy goats and was quite pleased with it. He also steered me away from the zereba chargers and recommeded Parmac which is also what he used. His store did not carry Parmac but he told me to go to MFA.
I have a barbed wire perimeter and just want to keep the cows in. I know from personal experience that a deer can jump a 6' fence if they really want to.

Pplywire is about the diamaeter of a wooden kitchen match, maybe around 12 gauge. The stuff from Gallagher has either 6 or 9 stainless steel conductors woven through it

dun

Ok, i bought a gallegher "wrangler" yesterday. It good up to 30 acres of multiwire. I am doing 18 acres for now, single strand. I was planning to have a "moving alley" in the 15 acre section. Like windshield wipers. It's shaped like a half a pie with the entry gate a little off center. It slopes gently down hill. Am I going to be creating multiple gullys in the pasture? Is there a better way to divide an odd shaped pasture?

We've always used high tensile with a solar charger, primarily because electricity is impossible to provide throughout the whole place. The solar Gallaghers are good and have worked good for us as well. We have replaced the batteries with a regular 12 volt battery in a battery box.. since the replacement batteries are pricey.

We did get into some of that nasty poly stuff this spring, and wish we'd never seen it! As windy as it is here in Central Texas, it's impossible to keep it from getting blown into the existing fence. :mad:

When ever we put up a new wire or change where the wire/fence is we tie pieces of plastic bags (from the grocery store) on the wire. After the first few curious times of touching the wire they get the idea pretty fast. This also prevents them from running though the fence because they can see the bags/markers. donna

Dusty Britches":2qql4aa1 said:
Another question -

How tight do you get the wire for e-fences?

I used to string them so tight that there was barely any give in them at all. After the deer ran through them and broke them when they bounced off, I changed to tight enough that there isn;t any or much sag every 50 ft or so. Where it sags too low I put a stay in to get it back to the height I want.

dun

Latest posts