Recommendation for Book

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm new to rasing Cattle and need advice on a good book to answer all my questions regarding Nursing Cow's, worming, insect control, weaning, and other topics so that I can feel more confident in what I'm doing. It's all a bit over-whelming. I just had my first calf born on April 19th. All went well and everyone seems to be doing ok. The flies are terrible and I want to try to correct that problem ASAP. Also, I feel like a burden to my local friends that have cattle with all the questions I bombard on them. I have owned horses for over 20 years. When I became involved with them I took a course. I have not been able to find a course on Cattle in my area. I'm still looking though. So, does anyone have any good book ideas or anything else that might be useful. My thanks up front. Also, I might add that having cattle brings me so much JOY....I love em.

storeys guid to raising beef cattle by heather smith thomas is a good book for begeners.she covers most of the basics.~~~~~~~~~Tc

You can go to any large public library and check out quite a few different books on raising cattle. But as stated aboue, I've found Storey's to be the most informative!

I also endorse the Storeys book. The best source of information would be an experienced cattleman who is currently running a successful operation in your area. The best way to learn from him is to spend a lot of time with him, helping him do whatever he has to do, rather than covering him up with questions. The best way, for example, to learn how to assist a cow deliver a calf is to be there in the middle of the night and watch what he does and help him actually do it. If you volunteer to help him on weekends and whenever else you can. for free of course, you can gain a lot of practical knowledge relatively quickly. A good mentor may have 50 years of accumulated knowledge, so don't think that you can catch up in a few days. It will take quite a while just to learn the basics and you never learn it all. Lots of luck.

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/ansc/index.htm

try this link to the texas a&m animal science cattle management handbook topics. choose "Publications" from the menu at the top. then choose "Texas Beef Cattle Management Handbook", then choose the topic you want & on the next screen choose "View/Download Publication"

or from the same link, choose "Beef Cattle" from the icons at the bottom & then choose your topic.

You're already on the right track, and keep that thought in mind. Once your cattle get guns it'll be nearly impossible to dip or vaccinate them - let alone send any to market.

Thanks to all of you for your advice on the book. I've ordered the book from Amazon.com. Storey's Book. (It will be easier to work on the cow's now that they don't have guns)...lol

Thanks Hawk....I will try to see if there is someone local I can hang out with and give a hand too. I'm bummed that most of the big cattle ranches are not here in Calif. anymore. About 4 years ago I had the good fortune to be able to spend time on a cattle ranch in Northern Ca that was owned by a retired Vet. There we moved cattle via horses and separted them into corrals...cows from the calves. Most of what I did there was vaccinate and move the critters through the chutes. I loved every minute of it. Unfortunatley I don't have access to that ranch anymore which breaks my heart.....However, I will put effort into trying to find one more local to my living area. Thanks again.

when i was a kid i lived on a farm till i was five and then moved to the city iwanted to go back so bad. i read everything i could get my hands on and read them again, books and magazines. but experience is the best teacher the advice is good team up with someone who will help.

Latest posts