Recommendation for a good Head Gate

Help Support CattleToday:

Los Tres Hermanos

Reaction score
Need to replace my head gate. No squeeze chute, just the head gate. Looking for recommendations.

Much appreciated,

Los Tres Hermanos

I like the Priefert auto headgate. The nice part about them is if you end up buying a Preifert squuze you can mount the old headgate on it and save some money

dun":2xe3eb6f said:
I like the Priefert auto headgate. The nice part about them is if you end up buying a Preifert squuze you can mount the old headgate on it and save some money

Exactly what I'm doing right now. Bought the headgate and like it a ton, but realized that we need the whole setup long-term. Have the chute and palpation cage ordered now.

RScott":3nvaxt36 said:
dun":3nvaxt36 said:

Exactly what I'm doing right now. Bought the headgate and like it a ton, but realized that we need the whole setup long-term. Have the chute and palpation cage ordered now.
That's how we did, but the palp cage came after the chute.

dun":25cq7eym said:
:nod: :nod: :nod:

Foremost makes a dang good head gate and squeeze. Ain't cheap but they are about the fastest and quiteest on the market. Stampede Steel make a real good product.

we purchased a priefert auto headgate and chute several years ago. never had a problem that a can of penetrating oil couldn't fix.....and easy to use in a one man operation

I almost bought a Priefert head catch, but opted to go ahead and bite the bullet and go with the entire Priefert S04 (or something like that) and the palpation cage. Been VERY pleased thus far!

Thanks for all of the replies. We have decided to go with the priefert auto head gate based on cost and use. If we were replacing chutes and head gate, we'd go bigger, but we just need the headgate.

you just cant beat the preifert automatic headgate.but heres something you havent thought of,its going tobe a pain in can to load cattle through the headgate.so you need to retink the squeeze chute.headgate an stand alone will cost you over $1000.i got the caddy of the preifert squeeze chutes an i love it.