Recommend a Vaccination Schedule for Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
We have a couple new calves and need a vaccination schedule. Everyone I have talked to has recommended something different. Please help! Also, please include the brands of vaccines you recommend. Thanks! Amy

give them a shot of 8-way blackleg at 2-4 months then another a weaning around 7 months. Something like Intervet Vision 8 or the one with additional Somnus protection.

Any one of the Intervet Virashields like Virashield 6 vibrio/lepto 5 will work fine being a killed vaccine, or take a look at the Cattlemaster line. You could could use modified live vaccinations like BoviShield FP VL5 or other brands. Arguments can be made either way as to which is better, a killed or a modified live vaccine.

Give this between 2-4 months and again at weaning.

Annually from here on out with this program. Worm with Ivomec in the fall and spring.

mlv is not recommended on any calf that is still nursing... it can cause the cow to abort.

jt

TXCOWBOY":2eig69we said:
give them a shot of 8-way blackleg at 2-4 months then another a weaning around 7 months. Something like Intervet Vision 8 or the one with additional Somnus protection.

Any one of the Intervet Virashields like Virashield 6 vibrio/lepto 5 will work fine being a killed vaccine, or take a look at the Cattlemaster line. You could could use modified live vaccinations like BoviShield FP VL5 or other brands. Arguments can be made either way as to which is better, a killed or a modified live vaccine.

Annually from here on out with this program. Worm with Ivomec in the fall and spring.

Would this apply to buying stockers? (3-400 weights) Probably a dumb question huh?

"Vaccines exist in both Killed and Modified Live forms, and in combinations of the two. The immunity produced by modified live vaccines is considered superior, in most cases, to that produced by killed vaccines."
"It may be necessary to vaccinate more than once a year with killed vaccines to adequately protect the cows, especially if new additions to the herd are made 6 months or more after the last vaccination."
There are MLV that are recommended for use on calves nursing pregnant cows.
Pfizer has all the BoviShield products labeled to vaccinate OPEN cows prior to breeding, than the calves nursing these vaccinated cows can be vaccinated at any stage after 3 months of age - also pregnant cows can receive the product again as long as it is within 12 months of the first shot.
If your calf is weaned, not nursing a pregnant cow, a MLV is definately recommended over a killed vaccine. MLV is cheaper and lasts much longer - research thinks it may be for life, but still recommends booster at least every 3 years. I still booster yearly to be safe.
But, we cannot tell you what your AREA needs for vaccinations.
I am posting a lengthy article on vaccinations.

you could use this program on your stockers. Modified Live vaccines have the potential to give BVD back to the mommas they are nursing and cause abortion. This is the main reason not to use these at this stage in life, but if nycowgirl already has just calves, then this risk would not be a problem.

TXCOWBOY - you are not getting the point I made. BoviSh is APPROVED for use with pregnant cows IF the cow gets vaccinated PRIOR to breeding.

In other words, next spring, the cows can be vaccinated 2 weeks prior to breeding (they have calves nursing them at this time) than, during the summer, you can vaccinate your calves with BS MLV PRIOR to weaning, that way the calves have much better immunities to go thru the stress of weaning. There is NO DANGER of abortion (according to label) with this product. I believe there are others on the market now.

MLV MAY be good for life, but researchers recommend vaccinating at least every 3 years. Of course, pharmaceutical companies recommend every year - which I do. They recommend every 6 MONTHS for killed vaccines. And, killed vaccines are more expensive.
This information is so that people can make an educated decision next spring, if they want the BEST vaccination program recommended by universities for the health of their calves. It is not something that you can start right this moment. It has to be PLANNED.
If you have calves nursing cows that have not been vaccinated with MLV, yes you have to use killed vaccines until they are weaned. Than you can use MLV. Remember, killed vaccines are totally worthless unless you give the booster in the 2-4 weeks - or whatever time is recommended.

I understand the point you made and are trying to make again. Bovishield FP5 is the only label that details that it is safe if followed by their guidelines. NOT all MLV brands are labeled this way. Turn over a bottle of Titanium 5 or Pyramid 5 MLVs and see.

We are assuming these calves are still nursing cows. We really just don't know enough from original posting. Maybe nycowgirl should give us more information.

Great. Then use a MLV on your bottle fed calves provided they will not be near any of your cows and try to nurse one of them. Use a killed vaccine on your calves nursing cows provided you did not use Bovishield FP5 as Jeanne lined out. If you want to convert to an all MLV system that is approved for calves nursing pregnant cows then follow Jeanne's instructions about when and what to do before you breed your heifers or cows. A controlled turn out breeding season is a must.

TXCOWBOY":28mfo1ke said:

Good advice!

We use:

ViraShield 6, Ultrabac 7, Pasteurella/haemolytica, and Ivomec Plus (injectible) at 3-4 months and at weaning. All cattle yearly in spring. De-worming spring & fall. Since we raise highly disease resitance Longhorns, we don't have need for any other medications for illnesses, etc., since we haven't had any calves or adults that have become sick.

check with your extension agent on what is needed in your area. it varies in different parts of the country. i take mine to the vet and have them done it is cheaper for a small herd. it cost me about $10.00 a head and i don't waste left over vaccines.

Howdy,

Like others have said. MLV is the preferred method. "Follow guidelines"

pfizer Bovi-shield line is a MLV which can be administered to calves nursing *ONLY if the mother was vacinated with it prior to breeding. If that is not the case, the the pfizer cattlemaster (killed) line.

Remember, the 3-4 weeks later needs the booster. This is very important. Other words... if you don't do this, you might as well pour the shot$$$ down the drain. A single shot just does not do it.

Different brands out there.

Latest posts