Recognizing and Treating Scours

Help Support CattleToday:

TxBrangus

Reaction score
What can I use to get rid of scours? I've got a cow that has had it for about a week now. Any helpful information would be appreciated.

TxBrangus":3o9gwa1w said:
What can I use to get rid of scours? I've got a cow that has had it for about a week now. Any helpful information would be appreciated.

What you do mean by "scours"? Water? Blood? Brown? Chunks? Green?

Cows do not get scours. The do get codcidosus(sp) and they do get the squirts from Johnes disease, and they get the squirts from too rich of hay or grass with alot of Alfalfa.
Codcidosus requires some special boluses from the vet designed for this bug. Johnes requires testing for confirmation and then i believe destroying confirmed cases. As for feed, might need some rummensin. Rummesin has show to reduce the codcidiosus (blasted name) in a herd when fed continously for three months. Very effective before calving especially if you are in an area or have had past problems with it.

I mean that the cows manure is very runny, it's practically like water as if she has diarrhea.
She's been on coastal pasture/hay, has not been fed anything with Alfalfa in it.

TxBrangus":2w2c3ogn said:
I mean that the cows manure is very runny, it's practically like water as if she has diarrhea.
She's been on coastal pasture/hay, has not been fed anything with Alfalfa in it.
Grass only?? In Waco Texas this time of the year there should be nothing in the fields that would make the manure runny UNLESS she's eating a slug of acorns everyday or has an illness as others mentioned.

TexasBred":29g3n7uf said:
TxBrangus":29g3n7uf said:
Grass only?? In Waco Texas this time of the year there should be nothing in the fields that would make the manure runny UNLESS she's eating a slug of acorns everyday or has an illness as others mentioned.

I need to change my location the cattle are in Crockett Texas (Southeast Texas). I do have quite a few acorn trees on my property. Is there anything I can give her if the acorns are the problem?

1. do a search on acorn poisoning - they typically will start constipated then go to scours but can be serious - lethal
2. if they are still eating like crazy but losing weight like crazy, test for Johnes
3. take a stool to the vet to check for coccidiosis. they can test for that while you wait