Reclaimed chicken barn kit

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends on the climate as to whether it's worth covering the working areas. If you are doing stuff in the winter or late at night I think it would be a great idea.

dun":275cnv7r said:
Depends on the climate as to whether it's worth covering the working areas. If you are doing stuff in the winter or late at night I think it would be a great idea.

It would be nice on nasty days to work a problem cow or at night. It would have a pen for the problem cow for a few days or to pen calves before loading.

We also are trying to keep the squeeze chute and alley out of the weather.

The summer or so before I bought cattle my neighbor sold off a few chicken houses. Timing sucked, but so it goes. I could sure use some of those trusses now to build a hay/equipment shed. I would have put a higher side wall on them. I think he was pricing trusses at 300 ish, don't remember for sure, probably in the neighborhood of 30'+ long.
What kind of prices are you seeing for kits/sizes?

talltimber":2nthwlwd said:
The summer or so before I bought cattle my neighbor sold off a few chicken houses. Timing sucked, but so it goes. I could sure use some of those trusses now to build a hay/equipment shed. I would have put a higher side wall on them. I think he was pricing trusses at 300 ish, don't remember for sure, probably in the neighborhood of 30'+ long.

40' X 50' $3500 should be everything from the post up

Did the semo Craigslist link work?

Yes it did. I must have missed it earlier. Sorry about that.

That would make a nice shed. Keep me posted on how it turns out if you go that route. I need a hay/equipment shed bad.

Where you located that you have to worry about snow load??
If you're worried space your trusses closer together
I don't like the trusses with the web legs I prefer the ones with the channel iron legs
$300 per truss sounds high
Used you should be able to buy all materials for $100prft 100 ft building should cost $10,000

Best way to build legs is 5"od or 6"od pipe

I have built several most of the ones I put up I made the sidewalls 16'

RiverHills":1d7r4c0i said:
talltimber":1d7r4c0i said:

40' X 50' $3500 should be everything from the post up

Did the semo Craigslist link work?
That's pretty cheap on price

MoCrackerCowboy":39kox31s said:
Where you located that you have to worry about snow load??
If you're worried space your trusses closer together
I don't like the trusses with the web legs I prefer the ones with the channel iron legs
$300 per truss sounds high
Used you should be able to buy all materials for $100prft 100 ft building should cost $10,000

Best way to build legs is 5"od or 6"od pipe

I have built several most of the ones I put up I made the sidewalls 16'

We might get a snow load that could be a problem once in five years but it only takes one. Maybe it's not a big concern.

It says heavy gauge channel legs.

40' X 100' delivered to my place $6000

I see you're in SE Mo you won't have to worry about snow load at all
The weakest part of it is the 2x4 purlins
I built one where we took the wood 2x4's off and used rectangular tubing
It was what the guy buying it wanted and he paid for it
We always used extra 2x4's so when they were spliced we ran the splice board from truss to truss so it was solid and not just spliced in the middle

If your worried about snow load you can short up the span on the trusses to 8' instead of 10' and that increases it strength quite a bit
The roofs are on a 4/12 pitch so it sheds pretty good

RiverHills":3tzd30k7 said:
Thanks I think we might try one. Atleast the price is not outrageous.
They are used in heavier snow load areas than you're in so shouldn't be a problem
Be sure and run cable braces from top of 1 leg to bottom of other about every other span if you go 14 or 16' tall it makes a big difference
Basically X brace every 2nd or 3rd span if your not sheeting the walls
If sheeting the walls I would still X a couple of them

MoCrackerCowboy":11gvbduq said:
RiverHills":11gvbduq said:
Thanks I think we might try one. Atleast the price is not outrageous.
They are used in heavier snow load areas than you're in so shouldn't be a problem
Be sure and run cable braces from top of 1 leg to bottom of other about every other span if you go 14 or 16' tall it makes a big difference
Basically X brace every 2nd or 3rd span if your not sheeting the walls
If sheeting the walls I would still X a couple of them

Thanks for your help!

Do you think I could buy a 100ft barn and make two 50ft barns out of it?
Would I have to buy extra supplies to do so?

50ft $3500
100ft $6000

Latest posts