Recips?

Help Support CattleToday:

greatgerts

Reaction score
I have been looking around the last few weeks for a handful of recip cows to continue our ET program. I could use the recips from the ET facility, but they are anywhere from $2800-$3500 each (cattle prices now make this scary). I have come across some Jersey cows for a VERY reasonable price, but my concern has been them producing too much milk for the calves and then getting mastitis or some other issue. Being a beef cattle guy, having dairy cows would be new to me and I would want it to go as smooth as possible. SO I guess I have 2 questions: 1). How would I keep the cow from the issues that could arise from producing more than one calf would need? 2). Do you think this option for recips would be a good one? The price on these is $700 for open non-lactating cows- I really would need to know WHY they are both open and not lactating; $900 for bred non-lactating cows- they are due this fall; or $1600 for bred lactating cows.

I know that I could always get a couple more calves for each cow to raise, but was trying to see other options.

I would absolutely have them tested for BLV. I'd also be leery of putting any really high BW embryos in them, but that's just MPO.

ricebeltrancher":1bh8v1xm said:
I would absolutely have them tested for BLV. I'd also be leery of putting any really high BW embryos in them, but that's just MPO.

I agree. Seller says all are Johne's and BLV free, but that is just as good as his word, and I do not know him. Birth weights on the bulls I am planning are 64 & 70. The 2 donor cows birth weights are 64 and 68. "Shouldn't" have issues with those.

Latest posts