Recipient Adjustment

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
How do breed associations determine the adjustment for ET calves, and does it make a difference what the breed of the recipient is? I know I can go to the AHA and get my answer, but I thought this might make a good discussion as well.

i posted this after your initial question on another topic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i wasn't sure, but after checking the AHA site, it looks like embryo calves aren't figured into the equation at all so it definitely isn't padding the growth epd's to use embryo calves' data:

"Registry is accomplished in the normal fashion including a required ET certificate. ET calves are excused from all mandatory performance reporting since they are never entered into the performance indexes or EPD calculations"

Depends of what breed you have. Some breeds do use the data.

rgv4":1gzx7ndi said:

he was talking about herefords, but can you answer the question about the breeds that do use the data? & which breeds do use ET calves' data?

txag":xgists8m said:
rgv4":xgists8m said:

he was talking about herefords, but can you answer the question about the breeds that do use the data?

I don't know at what point it's used. But the angus association has EPDs on ET animals. But it seems that actual BW is used but the weanning weights specify ET for ratio.

dun

dun":2dsr8ji6 said:
I don't know at what point it's used. But the angus association has EPDs on ET animals. But it seems that actual BW is used but the weanning weights specify ET for ratio.

dun

the hereford association has epd's on ET calves, too, but they're calculated from pedigree & later, the performance of their offspring.

found this on the angus site:

"Individual weights of embryo transplants raised by a registered Angus recipient cow are used for Interim EPD, but not in National Cattle Evaluation.

Individual weights of embryo transplants raised by a non-registered Angus recipient cow are not used at the present time."