recip cows

Help Support CattleToday:

badroute

Reaction score
I was just wonderin if anyone has contracted their herd as embryo recips. An angus syndicate that I have been helping prove bulls for the last couple years is interested in using my herd as a recip herd.

Does anyone know any terms such as price and management of this type of deal. I am not going to let them use all my cows I was thinkin maybe 150 or so. I am worried that something like this might burn them up fertility-wise, but I really dont know.

If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I am very familiar with this arrangement. Typically a predetermined price is set on the calves like .20 over market but then how do you establish market? Or you can go flat rate on a per calf basis. I would tell them that you will set them up and they will flip the bill give them all one crack to take then turn the bulls in the next day. If your herd is all black and the ET calves are also i would run hereford bulls to keep the calves out of question. You will have to calve them, tatoo and weigh them. So added labor will be there. The risk to the cow is minimal. I would use cidrs to bring them into heat. If they squelch you get the calves.
I need to write up a contract for the same thing pretty soon. I have someone who wants to implant my holstein heifer embryos on shares.

If i can be of any help let me know. I am just down the road from yall.

The way I understand how it works is that you get $300 if the embryo has taken at 45 days. Then when she has calved you will get another $300 and when you wean the calf $300. You will have to keep up with when the calf was born, birth weight, and do all of the usually calf vacinations and so on. The only bad thing about doing embryo work or A.I using CIDR's or any other regument is that you have to run the cows through the chute 4 times to finally get them bred. But, since you have been doing something like this allready, proven bulls then it should be no real problem. I know Ultimate Genetics in TX has been running full page ad's for the past few months for the same thing.

Thanks,

Matt

badroute":3ean1rn3 said:
I was just wonderin if anyone has contracted their herd as embryo recips. An angus syndicate that I have been helping prove bulls for the last couple years is interested in using my herd as a recip herd.

Does anyone know any terms such as price and management of this type of deal. I am not going to let them use all my cows I was thinkin maybe 150 or so. I am worried that something like this might burn them up fertility-wise, but I really dont know.

If anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
It really won't burn them up at all, because there still getting bred every 9 months. We have a herd here in Virginia that does this as well. I would be interested in telling you that he charges at weaning age $900.00 per calf. Also, it cost $200.00 to put the embryo in. I would it, if I were you. You may make more money and I would be interested. :cboy:

Matt Schiel":10kexr1i said:
The way I understand how it works is that you get $300 if the embryo has taken at 45 days. Then when she has calved you will get another $300 and when you wean the calf $300.
Thanks,

Matt

so $900 for a weaned calf plus ET costs? sounds pretty high to me. around $600 is closer to what i have read and seen.

Badroute, I would talk to Jeanne Reyher at Reyher Embryonics I understand she is involved with how this stuff is done as well.

They are different deals for everyone. I know one guy in Montana who has a recip herd at Willow Creek and he gives them the best of $1000 for a calf, but they have to wean off at a specified weaning weight (incentive to put embryos in the good cows), if there are frozen ears or something that they don't like they don't take the calves either. The bulls have to be cut and heifers that are left aren't registered then either. Idea being for all of this is that the bulls are started in the right direction in the fall so that they can be marketable in the spring.

Thanks for all your responses they have been very helpful. The syndicate already told me what they were going to offer and I just wanted to know if they were in the ballpark.

The things that worry me is that I dont want to calve in February; I dont want to creep feed the calves to give them inflated weaning weights and I dont want them to put in an embryo that might have questionable calving ease/problems.

I know it might sound selfish but I want to have some say in this process. I try to make my operation as smooth running as possible. I am the only one on the place so the last thing I need is a labor intensive operation. The tagging and weighing calves is no problem, but I would rather do it in April rather than February.

Just discussed this with a local breeder. They charge as follows: $100 up front, we pay all implant costs (by an embryoligest billed direct to us), They have 90 day preg test. We pay "high market price" based on a specific feeder sale, plus $200. At weaning, if we don't want any or all of the calves, they keep them. We're out the embryo implant fee + $100.
Sounded like a good alternative for us, if we purchased any frozen embryos.

Aero":2kaasqjs said:
Matt Schiel":2kaasqjs said:
The way I understand how it works is that you get $300 if the embryo has taken at 45 days. Then when she has calved you will get another $300 and when you wean the calf $300.
Thanks,

Matt

so $900 for a weaned calf plus ET costs? sounds pretty high to me. around $600 is closer to what i have read and seen.

If you go to the February edition of the Gulf Coast Cattleman and look at page 71, Ultimate Genetics has a full page ad wanting to put embryos into your commercial cows. Quote "Ultimate Genetics will pay $900 per head for weaned calves by your commercial cows."

They have a cooperative herd in Hermitage, Arkansas. The per son in charge is David Roper @ 1-800-962-7466. Also the cows can be anywhere in the U.S.

Matt

Matt:

that's a pretty good deal for a commercial man.

thanks for letting us in on it :)

Aero":1w760kjn said:
Matt Schiel":1w760kjn said:
Thanks,

Matt

$900 sounds right to me. A good commercial calf will bring much more than $600 in THIS market. On the down end of the cattle cycle people might jump at $600. $900 would be the minimum I would do that for in this market.

Latest posts