Recip cow prices ?

Help Support CattleToday:

jd720

Reaction score
What are they charging for pregnant recips now that the cow prices are down ? I`m sure this will vary by region just want to get some idea about what they`re charging now.

I understand you wouldn`t sell your pregnant recip but I`m talking about flushing a cow and having the eggs put in a recips and buying the cows at 60 + days confirmed pregnant. I know several of the embryo places will do that just not sure the cost right now and yes I know if you have to ask you probably can`t afford it anyway just curious.

Seen place here in Iowa advertising $2400 for 90 preg recip with them being middle aged black/bwf cows. If guy ain't set up for the messing around not a terrible price if they are some elite genetics.

Till-Hill":16smwczl said:
Seen place here in Iowa advertising $2400 for 90 preg recip with them being middle aged black/bwf cows. If guy ain't set up for the messing around not a terrible price if they are some elite genetics.
If she is carrying the right embryo, that's a great price. Last embryos I purchased were $1200/ea Looks like I got 2 out 3 pregnant :banana:
I don't know if the "pregnant recip" price varies that much with the market, but I haven't watched their prices.

Jd

I wasn't trying to be a smartie pants with my response. It was a knee jerk reaction, we had just finished putting embryos in and with cost involved can't imagine selling the recip for 2400. I apologize when I re-read my post it sounded really snarky. I wonder if the recips advertised didn't take the embryo and got pasture bred? Again I am having trouble wrapping my head around selling confirmed ET pregnancies for that price not trying to be a smart arse.

Gizmom

Jeanne - Simme Valley":skbedk0z said:
Till-Hill":skbedk0z said:
If she is carrying the right embryo, that's a great price. Last embryos I purchased were $1200/ea Looks like I got 2 out 3 pregnant :banana:
I don't know if the "pregnant recip" price varies that much with the market, but I haven't watched their prices.
Jeanne I'm talking about you sending your embroys to someone with the cows then you just buy the recip with your embroys in them for $2400. No cost for you setting them up and carrying an open cow or a cow out of sync with your herd. I think me and jd are on same page ? Not me buying your receipt cow. Buying a cow with my embryo in it....

Wasn`t thinking anyone was being a smartie pants we just weren't on the same page and thanks to Till-Hill for clearing that up. The last time I checked on this they were $3300 so they have moved with the market at $2400. The reason they should change with the market is the pairs don`t cost them what they did 3 to 4 years ago when I checked last.

I haven't heard a lot of this going on. I hear a lot about leasing recips but haven't heard anything on this front.

jd

Again sorry I was for sure on a different page, have I mentioned the boss tells me I could screw up a one car funeral. I get a thought in my head and tend to only see my point of view and totally missed what they were actually saying. Thank you TH for clarifying I was sure on the wrong track!

gizmom

Last I did through Tran Ova, it was $3400 for a bred recip. I have gone that route, had Trans Ova raise the calves for me (about the same price), found a co-op to do some at $1500 per weaned calf ($100 to set up, $400 at preg check per bred cow, $500 at birth per live calf, and $500 at weaning). I have a local producer that is doing it, I am buying a 90 day pregnancy for $1500.
I would talk with folks that provide the service and ask if they provide recips, or if they know of a good source. You can probably find some good buys out there, but you have to spend a little time looking. My first go-around with ET, I bought some Gert cross females to use, the next round I bought some registered Herefords (wanted to make some crosses when I wasn't putting embryos in).

I've sold a recip with confirmed sex pregnancy to a guy who calved his own calf.

I've sold groups of bred recips, all off whom stayed in my place. We calved them out and split the calf crop.

We've partnered with someone on a weaned calf deal (we provided the embryos, they paid for live calves, we split the calf crop).

Etc.

Everything is at a different price ... There is no right or wrong way to go. Be flexible and creative. If you can't get a deal that's fair for everyone, there is no deal to do.

Latest posts