Receiving new cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

TLM1988

Reaction score
What's everybody hit there calves with that they buy at a sale barn. Just for the peace of mind aspect. 350-400 wt. weaned steers is what I bought this round. Had the guy hauling for me worm and castrate and he hit em with la200. They are doing great but I don't know and he didn't know if they had any other kind of vaccinations prior to weaning or when they pulled em off mom. Risky business?? Seems that way to me and when I go to buy my next set I want to be better prepared

Thanks!!!!!

Draxxin, covexin 8, virashield 6, inforce 3, multimin 90, cydectin injectable. This heat will sure bring out a lunger hence the draxxin and inforce.

RanchMan90":3incl0h6 said:
Draxxin, covexin 8, virashield 6, inforce 3, multimin 90, cydectin injectable. This heat will sure bring out a lunger hence the draxxin and inforce.
I sure wouldn't give draxxin just for the heck of it to a healthy cow. I usually give my trader cows, Calvary 9, Cydectin injectable and a pour on wormer and MultiMin right off the trailer. Then in 3 weeks give a booster of Calvary 9 and Triangle 10 HB. My feeling is to much at one time could cause problems.

TLM1988":o5k1cl5c said:
What's everybody hit there calves with that they buy at a sale barn. Just for the peace of mind aspect. 350-400 wt. weaned steers is what I bought this round. Had the guy hauling for me worm and castrate and he hit em with la200. They are doing great but I don't know and he didn't know if they had any other kind of vaccinations prior to weaning or when they pulled em off mom. Risky business?? Seems that way to me and when I go to buy my next set I want to be better prepared

Thanks!!!!!
They can pick up shipping fever "Pneumonia"at the stockyards, and LA 200 just teases it..keep a close eye on em and if you notice one off, best pull and quarantine it...don't turn them out where you can't get em up easily..

ALACOWMAN":2rf2kbdr said:
TLM1988":2rf2kbdr said:

Thanks!!!!!
They can pick up shipping fever "Pneumonia"at the stockyards, and LA 200 just teases it..keep a close eye on em and if you notice one off, best pull and quarantine it...don't turn them out where you can't get em up easily..
That's good advice, we quarantine trader cows for at least 2 weeks. Some go right back the next week if their crazy.

kenny thomas":3agmsf8k said:
Inforce 3, Presponse, Alpha 7, Cydectin injectable wormer, tetanus antitoxiod, Vitamin AD&E, castrate, ear tag, and Ralgro implant.

Nah, the other guy prolly did all that before he brought em to the sale. :lol2:

Gonna have to write all that down!! Didn't realize you could put that much in a calf at one time! Thanks for the replies!!

TLM1988":1spgn20u said:
Gonna have to write all that down!! Didn't realize you could put that much in a calf at one time! Thanks for the replies!!
Everything I recommended except the vitamins was with the help of a very good vet here on CT.
Another very good recommendation is only using a clean needle in the bottles. Leave the needle in it and draw from it.

True Grit Farms":1xs6u8pd said:
RanchMan90":1xs6u8pd said:
I sure wouldn't give draxxin just for the heck of it to a healthy cow. I usually give my trader cows, Calvary 9, Cydectin injectable and a pour on wormer and MultiMin right off the trailer. Then in 3 weeks give a booster of Calvary 9 and Triangle 10 HB. My feeling is to much at one time could cause problems.
I don't give draxxin to cows I buy either. Cuts down on repulls and death loss on lightweight calves for me. That's why I would recommend it to someone starting out. Mass treatment protocol is an age old debate on stockers.

RanchMan90":3m8xwyry said:

What do you gain with both virashield and inforce?

Injectable wormer , respiratory of your choice, quarantine . And if you're going to make money , implant . Long weaned (45 days ) and documented vaccinated calves bring a premium here , and they should . Some kind of fly protocol this time of year would be advisable also .

Stocker Steve":1k8ud2k6 said:
RanchMan90":1k8ud2k6 said:

What do you gain with both virashield and inforce?
Quicker respiratory coverage with the nasal vaccine. Longer coverage with the injectable.

Thanks again for the replies!! It's a little overwhelming to a beginner

TLM1988":2z4y0mvd said:
Thanks again for the replies!! It's a little overwhelming to a beginner
You're welcome. I wouldn't hesitate to consult with a local vet as well. Taking temp on incoming calves has been a valuable troubleshooting tool for me too. What area are you from?

I buy stockers every year. In another thread I discussed that in the past I gave Micotil immediately as a precaution, but have gotten away from it due to the dangers to the handler. As was said, Draxxin is expensive. Here is my current protocol:

Virashield 6
Covexin 8
Pour on wormer
Pour on fly control
Ralgro G

Quarantine for 2 weeks then back through the chute for round 2 of the vaccines above. I check temps (Based on advice from this board) at that time and anything with any fever get a hit of Draxxin. I've considered adding Inforce 3 to my first round protocol. The purpose in that would be immediate protection from BVD. Good luck!

I used UltraBac 8, Enforce 3, One Shot, inject Imovec, and LA200. Boost in 4 weeks with the Ultrabac 8 and Bovasheild Gold. I keep the Draxxin handy. I knife cut any bulls at the time of booster shots. I don't know anyone who has had a problem with tetanus but Redwater is an issue. Thus the Ultrabac 8. Some things in any vaccination program will be regional.

I have a friend who runs 1,000 stockers he gives them the above and they all get a Draxxin on arival plus he uses a dredge wormer.

Latest posts