Receiving new cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ALACOWMAN":31eboo8o said:
TLM1988":31eboo8o said:
What's everybody hit there calves with that they buy at a sale barn. Just for the peace of mind aspect. 350-400 wt. weaned steers is what I bought this round. Had the guy hauling for me worm and castrate and he hit em with la200. They are doing great but I don't know and he didn't know if they had any other kind of vaccinations prior to weaning or when they pulled em off mom. Risky business?? Seems that way to me and when I go to buy my next set I want to be better prepared

Thanks!!!!!
They can pick up shipping fever "Pneumonia"at the stockyards, and LA 200 just teases it..keep a close eye on em and if you notice one off, best pull and quarantine it...don't turn them out where you can't get em up easily..
Great advise here. Many years ago, my grandfather bought several steers and did not pull them off at first signs of sickness. They had shipping fever and spread it to some others. He lost three steers and a mom cow as a result. Tough lesson he learned. We always separate ours off for a week or two after buying them, especially from a sale barn.

Never seen anybody get in,and out of the cattle business..as a man here did several years ago.. Stocked he's place with every sale barn cull in a 50 mile radius..they all got it..the first few he lost he blamed on lightnin .I pasture roped and doctored some for him..one was leaning against the barn hanging on,and I bopped her just standing. to weak to even fight,or move..it's a booger to get under control...traders are the worst to carry..

RanchMan90":1229qchx said:
TLM1988":1229qchx said:
Thanks again for the replies!! It's a little overwhelming to a beginner
You're welcome. I wouldn't hesitate to consult with a local vet as well. Taking temp on incoming calves has been a valuable troubleshooting tool for me too. What area are you from?
Western Kentucky

TLM1988":10pbygv7 said:
RanchMan90":10pbygv7 said:
TLM1988":10pbygv7 said:
Thanks again for the replies!! It's a little overwhelming to a beginner
You're welcome. I wouldn't hesitate to consult with a local vet as well. Taking temp on incoming calves has been a valuable troubleshooting tool for me too. What area are you from?
Western Kentucky

Paducah area, or back toward Cadiz?

jehosofat":2p9ti4bk said:
TLM1988":2p9ti4bk said:
RanchMan90":2p9ti4bk said:
Western Kentucky

Paducah area, or back toward Cadiz?

South of Mayfield

I'm a believer in the mod-live vaccine over the killed. Important to make sure it's not too hot when you give it to them though or you're throwing your money away. Beat the rooster up and you'll be fine.

Pyramid 5 + presponse sq
Ultrabac 7
Injectable dewormer (cydectin or dectomax)
Pinkeye Vaccine
Python Magnium Fly tag (we swap tags every year to keep the flies on their toes. Always take them out in the fall, so not to make your flies supervillians)

After this, we keep a bottle of Draxxin and a dart gun close by for about 45 days. Seems like any sickness will show up at 4 weeks.

What's a good implant for calves on pasture? I'm supplementing feed also so they don't burn all my grass up.

Dave":2neurv48 said:
I used UltraBac 8, Enforce 3, One Shot, inject Imovec, and LA200. Boost in 4 weeks with the Ultrabac 8 and Bovasheild Gold. I keep the Draxxin handy. I knife cut any bulls at the time of booster shots. I don't know anyone who has had a problem with tetanus but Redwater is an issue. Thus the Ultrabac 8. Some things in any vaccination program will be regional.

I have a friend who runs 1,000 stockers he gives them the above and they all get a
Draxxin on arival plus he uses a dredge wormer.
I contacted my local vet about getting Enough syringes of draxxin made up for when I brought calves In. He didn't approve of the method for some reason. In my eyes I can see the benefits of it and the peace of mind involved. Or maybe he just wanted me to buy a whole bottle?!! I'm running small right now so can't justify the 250$$

TLM1988":14uhu2xy said:
Dave":14uhu2xy said:
I used UltraBac 8, Enforce 3, One Shot, inject Imovec, and LA200. Boost in 4 weeks with the Ultrabac 8 and Bovasheild Gold. I keep the Draxxin handy. I knife cut any bulls at the time of booster shots. I don't know anyone who has had a problem with tetanus but Redwater is an issue. Thus the Ultrabac 8. Some things in any vaccination program will be regional.

I have a friend who runs 1,000 stockers he gives them the above and they all get a
Draxxin on arival plus he uses a dredge wormer.
I contacted my local vet about getting Enough syringes of draxxin made up for when I brought calves In. He didn't approve of the method for some reason. In my eyes I can see the benefits of it and the peace of mind involved. Or maybe he just wanted me to buy a whole bottle?!! I'm running small right now so can't justify the 250$$
A bottle of draxxin is cheaper than losing a calf. Revlor implant lasts 240 days

okiek":23nm758l said:
I buy stockers every year. In another thread I discussed that in the past I gave Micotil immediately as a precaution, but have gotten away from it due to the dangers to the handler. As was said, Draxxin is expensive. Here is my current protocol:

Virashield 6
Covexin 8
Pour on wormer
Pour on fly control
Ralgro G

Quarantine for 2 weeks then back through the chute for round 2 of the vaccines above. I check temps (Based on advice from this board) at that time and anything with any fever get a hit of Draxxin. I've considered adding Inforce 3 to my first round protocol. The purpose in that would be immediate protection from BVD. Good luck!

For what it's worth--Inforce3 offers no protection for BVD. It protects against BRSV and IBR, those are respiratory infections.

TLM1988":2tywyo5h said:

A lot of vets and/or producers don't like use of antibiotics as a preventative. I do. As for the Draxxin... $250 won't get you many doses. I don't know what size you're treating but or what your vet is charging but $250 probably won't get you but about 10-12 550lb doses.

snoopdog":2dps7k4p said:
Injectable wormer , respiratory of your choice, quarantine . And if you're going to make money , implant . Long weaned (45 days ) and documented vaccinated calves bring a premium here , and they should . Some kind of fly protocol this time of year would be advisable also .

I agree and I usually give an 8 way shot. I usually use Covexin 8 as that is what the local feed store handles. We usually use Bovi-Shield Gold or Pyramid. Again it has more to do with what our local stores handle.

elkwc":36qxog7s said:
snoopdog":36qxog7s said:
Injectable wormer , respiratory of your choice, quarantine . And if you're going to make money , implant . Long weaned (45 days ) and documented vaccinated calves bring a premium here , and they should . Some kind of fly protocol this time of year would be advisable also .

I agree and I usually give an 8 way shot. I usually use Covexin 8 as that is what the local feed store handles. We usually use Bovi-Shield Gold or Pyramid. Again it has more to do with what our local stores handle.
And does your local store have someone that sells what you really need or what is an easy sell at good profit. If you ask them to order a specific thing do they say, oh this is just as good? That is what happens here. I tell them to order what I ask for or someone else will.

kenny thomas":1sgldv7a said:
elkwc":1sgldv7a said:
snoopdog":1sgldv7a said:

And does your local store have someone that sells what you really need or what is an easy sell at good profit. If you ask them to order a specific thing do they say, oh this is just as good? That is what happens here. I tell them to order what I ask for or someone else will.

Kenny I've talked to my vets and they listed what they suggested. All of these were products they suggested. I don't give anything I don't consult at least one vet and usually 2.

kenny thomas":2ok0w13f said:
Good, so many here just buy whatever some dummy at the feed store has in stock and never ask a get.

Kenny prescription drugs I buy from my vet. If I need anything non prescription that I can't find easily locally I can order it from Valley Vet. But prefer locally if possible.

kenny thomas":2z00tp43 said:
Good, so many here just buy whatever some dummy at the feed store has in stock and never ask a get.
Point taken and agreed . We have a particular feed store here that is run by a couple of guys who are very knowledgeable , and hold various degrees and licenses , surely one of the few but a great asset and I try to patronize them when I can . I've noticed , that on the medication and what I call hard farming items , their profit margin is very small . Now , if you go in for something else, ie garden hose or wd40, you can expect to pay a premium . I worry sometimes about it changing , they have been expanding and remodeling , before you could barely walk through , but if you needed an oddball piece of hardware you can bet they had it .