Reasonably Priced Feed Mix? Suggestions?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I feed out a few steers each year, and now I have enough orders for beef that I'll be feeding about 4 or 5. 4-H feed is too expensive. Our Co-op mix is about $17 to $15 cwt. in bulk. Is that a good deal for a complete feed? Are there any suggestions as to what might be cheaper or to bulk mixes that we could ask for that might be more economical while putting a good finish on the calves? Also, what's a good, cheap ration to feed a Holstein calf out? He'll be ground into hamburger, so getting him fat as a Holstein can get will be important. Thanks for the sage advice.
BlackCowz

Don't grind the holstien he may be a very good beef! If they have a good finish they are very good eating and will bring good money on the fed cattle mkt.

mwj":2ryeowlc said:
Don't grind the holstien he may be a very good beef! If they have a good finish they are very good eating and will bring good money on the fed cattle mkt.
Huh, I never knew about that! Thanks for the input. Do you know the ration fed to those dairy calves to make 'em finish nice?

blackcowz":389unuuf said:
Hi all,
I feed out a few steers each year, and now I have enough orders for beef that I'll be feeding about 4 or 5. 4-H feed is too expensive. Our Co-op mix is about $17 to $15 cwt. in bulk. Is that a good deal for a complete feed? Are there any suggestions as to what might be cheaper or to bulk mixes that we could ask for that might be more economical while putting a good finish on the calves? Also, what's a good, cheap ration to feed a Holstein calf out? He'll be ground into hamburger, so getting him fat as a Holstein can get will be important. Thanks for the sage advice.
BlackCowz
SO THEY THINK A LOT OF THEIR FEED OUT IN co? 15 TO 17 PER CWT --i NEED TO GET IN THE FEED BUSINESS OUT THERE!
CORN GLUTEN IS A GOOD OPTION 18% CP 90 % TDN
DEAD CENTER OF CO MUST BE YOU ARE AROUND LEADVILLE---- OF COURSE PURCHASING FEED IN DEC/JAN AINT THE BEST TIME.
ALFALFA IIS GOOD PLUS A LIL CORN> 50 YEARS OF FEEDING COWS THAT OPTION CANT BE TOO BAD

Nope, out on the eastern plains. About 30 miles east of Colorado Springs. Corn gluten, huh? That looks like a good option. How do ya store it? Just like a regular feed? (I.E. Rolled corn, pellets, ect.)

blackcowz":2tkcgo47 said:
Nope, out on the eastern plains. About 30 miles east of Colorado Springs. Corn gluten, huh? That looks like a good option. How do ya store it? Just like a regular feed? (I.E. Rolled corn, pellets, ect.)
OH IN A BULK BIN OR A GRAVITY FED TRAILER UNDER THE SHELTER TARP IT

Angus Cowman":29mc3b3o said:
blackcowz":29mc3b3o said:
Bump. Any rations that you guys feed to steers in the lot? Would you care to share them? Thanks.
if i am only feeding a few I give them free choice hay and a 14% dairy fed and crimped corn I feed it 50/50 about 10lbs a day
Thanks. Also, does anyone have any corn gluten "recipies" that they mix up for a complete feed? Thanks again.

blackcowz":3lg7k9fb said:
Angus Cowman":3lg7k9fb said:
blackcowz":3lg7k9fb said:
Bump. Any rations that you guys feed to steers in the lot? Would you care to share them? Thanks.
if i am only feeding a few I give them free choice hay and a 14% dairy fed and crimped corn I feed it 50/50 about 10lbs a day
Thanks. Also, does anyone have any corn gluten "recipies" that they mix up for a complete feed? Thanks again.
how heavy are your steers?
14% @ 5 lbs = 0.70 x TDN of 0.9 ~ 0.63
Corn @ 9% and 88 % TDN is 0.08 x 5 lbs = 0.4
So you are giving them 1.03 lbs or TP per day in Feed
Say they weigh 600 lbs now they will consume about 8 more pounds of grass hay so if it is CBH that would be about 0.5 more lbs of TP

1.03 = 0.5 = 1.53 which iis low as they need about 1.7 to gain 2.5+ lbs per day

If they are 800 lb steers you are way below Nutritional requirements
T

blackcowz":15yb0qdb said:
Angus Cowman":15yb0qdb said:
blackcowz":15yb0qdb said:
Our backgrounder basic feed 1/3 CG pellet, 1/3 cracked corn and 1/3 soy hull pellets. That's pretty much the ration that we use for everything from weaning to calling the girls up to be caught so we can work or AI them.

dun":36dqwn63 said:
blackcowz":36dqwn63 said:
Angus Cowman":36dqwn63 said:
[
Our backgrounder basic feed 1/3 CG pellet, 1/3 cracked corn and 1/3 soy hull pellets. That's pretty much the ration that we use for everything from weaning to calling the girls up to be caught so we can work or AI them.
Thanks dun. 4c, they steers get about 16% protein on their weaning/growing ration. They get around 12% protein on their finishing ration. Is that what you were wondering?

blackcowz --need to know what weight your steers are to be able to do a good job with a feed ration, as they increase in weight as you know you must adjust their intake of Protein etc

4CTophand":29oghpy4 said:
blackcowz --need to know what weight your steers are to be able to do a good job with a feed ration, as they increase in weight as you know you must adjust their intake of Protein etc
They weigh up at about 700 lbs. average. The county fair where I will exhibit them as feedlot steers is in the end of July. They may weigh as much as 1300 by that time if they stay on feed and they respond to the implant. I project a gain of about 2.5 to 3 pounds per day with this set of 3 or 4 steers.

4CTophand":32zzil2e said:

Just increase amount of feed as weight increases and protein will go right along with it. :idea:

TexasBred":1bogbn7y said:
4CTophand":1bogbn7y said:

Just increase amount of feed as weight increases and protein will go right along with it. :idea:
Well, that's what we've always done......

When i finished out my 2 Angus heifers i fed them approx. 8lbs. a day for 3 months of 14% protein and every now and then I threw in some corn...Come sale day I was very surprised that they had gained 300lbs. in 3 months

Latest posts