Reasonable time to procure cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":rbzersb2 said:
A guy down the road had a similar problem with a neighbor. He had the neighbor's scrub bull get into his place. He caught it in his corral and called the neighbor. After about a week he called and told the neighbor that if he wasn't there in about 30 minutes that he would open the gate and send the bull down the road. It took the neighbor about 15 minutes to show up with a trailer.
Shame it took threatening to put em in gear...those type need cattle like a Eskimo needs ice water....

I got a plan for next time. We got another lazy neighbor in the NE corner. Next time one of the neighbors' cows gets in our place I'm going to run them in to the other neighbors place and let them have a contest to see who's the laziest.

Guess I'm lucky because I've never gone more than a few hours without a neighbor showing up to retrieve usually their bull. The exception was a couple horses, had no idea who they belonged to and the owner was at a funeral but still got in touch & picked them up that night. A friend of mine lives in OK but has leased land within a few miles, his brother lives relatively close. One of his steers ended up near the ranch so I just put him in with my heifers, told him to pick him up whenever it was convenient. His brother was here within 30 minutes to help me move the portable corral, owner/friend was here in less than 2 hours.

Brute, I feel for you. And not just about the inconsiderate neighbor!

I'm a pushover with my neighbors. Whatever it is I consider it my problem to resolve... But I've been blessed with neighbors that feel the same way. I think if I were feeling like I was being taken advantage of I might ask/tell them that I'll haul them back to them and charge enough that it doesn't happen again.

Old gentleman I know got tired of his neighbors bull coming to visit so he hauled it to the sale barn. Then he told the neighbor what he had done and that the check was in the mail. The neighbor took it well saying he needed a new bull anyway.

Caustic Burno":27sfgq3l said:
melking":27sfgq3l said:
Brute 23":27sfgq3l said:
19th. Replied 4 days later via text.

I happen to know the guy is not out of town but even so, I would think a person would call and say... I'm out of town, as soon as Im back I will be there.

I know this won't be popular, but as far as I am concerned that is 2 days past a trip to the market.

In Texas that's a jail term for rustling.
If the owner doesn't get it only the Sheriff can remove an estray.
Texas has some very strict estray laws and remedies.

Probably the same here in Florida, I just deal with this scenario on a regular basis and it goads me.

A friend of mine with a dairy had the neighbors ugly mutt of a beef bull show up in his dry cow lot one day. Stopped down where he thought it might have came from and talked to the neighbors wife who confirmed it was most likely thiers. Said husband would be there to get it the next day, think it ended up being three days later or more when they finally came and got it. A couple weeks later it was back again, same story, will be there in the morning. No apology or anything either time. Another 3-4 days go by and my buddy was tired of feeding it, got it loaded finally (Crazy SOB) and hauled it down to the neighbors and dropped it in their corral (no one home). Two days later it was back a third time, this time in a different lot with some of his show heifers. Finally got the Crazy thing loaded up again, except this time it went the other way at the end of the lane and to the sale barn. He held on to the check for awhile before cashing it but never heard a word about it.

It's been over a week since I have heard from the guy, again. He was suppose to check his cattle and let me know if he got them all back. Last he said he thought he was missing 6 or 7 still but was not sure.

I have been tied up at work the past couple weeks but hopefully this weekend I'll get back over there to check around the tanks for tracks and poop.

What worries me is there was yearling bulls and heifers with the cows. I dont need any maverick steers running around on this place.

I guess I'm about to have to get nasty. We turn the cattle back in to the pasture where his got in at after deer season. I want to be 100% sure his are out before we turn ours back in so if we wants to come in and play cowboy ours are no where near that mess.

To follow up on this I never heard a word back from the guy. I finally ran in to him in town a couple days ago and asked him if he had all his cattle back.

He said he had not been back over there to check and that they had his brand on them so he was not worried about it. :shock: He asked if I had seen any more.

I told him... naw, they either made it to the highway or the neighbors by now.

He looked at me funny.

I told him we have fence down between us and the neighbor in the back. We are planning on rebuilding it after deer season.

He said... well y'all have cross fences between there don't y'all.

I replied... Yes, several. We have them all opened up from the highway to the back for deer season. We closed them up when we first saw the cattle but after 2 weeks we opened them back up. We figured since you weren't worried about them neither should we. :)

He looked at me... I looked at him... and he walked off.

Brute 23":2iwmww99 said:
To follow up on this I never heard a word back from the guy. I finally ran in to him in town a couple days ago and asked him if he had all his cattle back.

He said he had not been back over there to check and that they had his brand on them so he was not worried about it. :shock: He asked if I had seen any more.

I told him... naw, they either made it to the highway or the neighbors by now.

He looked at me funny.

I told him we have fence down between us and the neighbor in the back. We are planning on rebuilding it after deer season.

He said... well y'all have cross fences between there don't y'all.

I replied... Yes, several. We have them all opened up from the highway to the back for deer season. We closed them up when we first saw the cattle but after 2 weeks we opened them back up. We figured since you weren't worried about them neither should we. :)

He looked at me... I looked at him... and he walked off.
:lol: :clap:

Brute 23":qj4yf0nx said:
Luckily our cattle are in a different pasture and did not get mixed.

Guess I'm just kind of down on people as a whole. My neighbors in town block my drive way, park in the yard, barking dogs, then this... it seen like people as a whole are just lazy or stupid.

The poet Robert Frost wrote that "good fences make good neighbors." It seems to be very true.

You are correct that many people are lazy and/or stupid. In the past, lazy and stupid people would starve or get themselves killed or eaten by wild animals. Now we see these idiots not being culled from the herd. If you watch the movie Idiocracy it shows a future in which the intelligence level of people has decreased. We can see it happening today. No matter how stupid or lazy a person is he can eat and live now, and those seem to be the people having the most children. The intelligent and educated people are having the fewest number of children. I worry about the future of the human race.

I was helping a friend feed last week. I spotted a scrub horned bull in with his cows. These are fall pairs that he had just turned his own bulls in. It was the neighbors who did come and get it the next day. But it got us talking. He said that on several occasions he has stretched a bull out and cut it. He also told me that my late FIL would rope a bull by one hind leg and ride off hard to the side stifling the bull. Claimed they weren't as inclined to travel once they were stifled. As the old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Brute 23":hm5s2pog said:
19th. Replied 4 days later via text.

I happen to know the guy is not out of town but even so, I would think a person would call and say... I'm out of town, as soon as Im back I will be there.

Do what I did a few years back.

Round them up - load them up and send them to a sale barn - not to be sold, but to be held. Call him and tell him where they are and that he can go get them. And you were protecting your family as one or two of them tended to chase your kids when they walked in the fields checking your own cows. ;-)

You did not steal them, you simply put them in to safe keeping so he could fetch them when he was ready.

It costs to ship unless you have your own trailer - and I do - but he pays the bill to the barn to get them back and you might make a few dollars hauling for him if he needs some help getting them home.

Bet he does not do that again.

Many years ago I had a problem with a neighbor and his bull.

I would call and call and sometimes a week or two later he would come and get it.

Finally it showed up one time too often. I loaded it up - and took it about 150 - 200 miles away - opened the door on open range and let it loose and it seemed happy to join a few cows alongside the road.

The neighbor came by about ten days later and asked if I had seen his bull.

I told him no, invited him in for coffee and a chat - friendly and as nice as pie to him - when he left I told him if he found it that I would be happy to hook up and help him bring it home - all he had to do was call me.

He left never the wiser.

And I never had a problem again.

There are always solutions to the problem - but you need to stay friendly while you do it.

Cheers

that friendly chat reminds of the guy who would tear the fence down, let out a heifer in my field.. then round up 10 of my cows and load them up in the middle of the night.

Then drive by waving with a big big smile.

I thought procure meant to purchase.

Is there yet another new cattle term out there that I haven't heard ?

backhoeboogie":3t69vm2z said:
I thought procure meant to purchase.

Is there yet another new cattle term out there that I haven't heard ?

Procure = obtain.....I guess "how you obtain" might be questionable.

Latest posts