Reasonable time to procure cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
If you notify a neighbor that their cattle are in your property via phone call what is a reasonable amount of time you would expect for them to 1) acknowledge the cattle are in there 2) attempt to retrieve them ?

I'm dealing with a neighbor right now and I am amazed at the lack of effort put forth.

If some one calls me I return the call as soon as I receive it. I will be there to make an attempt to retrieve them that day if the land owner let's me. At a minimum I will make a game plan with them that day.

We had cattle get out when we first took over. Fences were in bad shape. Got calls from neighbors and visits from deputies from 4:30 in the morning to 4:30 in the afternoon. Got out of bed and handled the morning call and the afternoon one we left the movies to handle (30 minutes response time).
Have always made arrangements with brother/neighbor to respond to any problems with cattle and to check on cattle when we are out of town. I also have responded when brothers cattle were out and I get called because they know I will answer the phone (brother is known for not answering).
Reasonable time to me is same day or if it is getting dark then first thing in the morning. I will lure cattle back to their property with a feed bucket if I know cattle and owner. Have done so before. Messing with cattle You dont know is a quick way to get hurt.

Brute 23":5xkkiltr said:
19th. Replied 4 days later via text.

I happen to know the guy is not out of town but even so, I would think a person would call and say... I'm out of town, as soon as Im back I will be there.

Contact the sheriff to impound them that will get his butt in gear.

I have been putting them back little by little but I can't get the guy to even confirm how many he has back or how many he has in total. He text me back the one day now has gone silent again. I would like to know if I need to keep looking or if he got them all.

Brute 23":1lvnog0i said:
I have been putting them back little by little but I can't get the guy to even confirm how many he has back or how many he has in total. He text me back the one day now has gone silent again. I would like to know if I need to keep looking or if he got them all.
Do they have a brand?

Well, I'd have to say a response within 24 hours would be a reasonable expectation.

I had a bull get on a neighbors place, she called and we arranged for me to come and get him the next day (it was almost dark when she called). A bunch of my cows got out, due to a juvenile delinquent cutting a fence, and I had them back in within 3 hours of the delinquent's mother's phone call.

I had someone else's bull here, they came and retrieved him within 2 hours of my calling them. Had a heifer here (same guy whose bull was here) and he returned my call within 2 hours and he and I agreed & arranged for him to get her 2 weeks later.

Had a horse show up here, it took 3 days for anyone to respond. It took another week for the owner to come and get it, several days past the time when he said he would come for it.

Workinonit Farm":1p5he5ov said:
Well, I'd have to say a response within 24 hours would be a reasonable expectation.

I had a bull get on a neighbors place, she called and we arranged for me to come and get him the next day (it was almost dark when she called). A bunch of my cows got out, due to a juvenile delinquent cutting a fence, and I had them back in within 3 hours of the delinquent's mother's phone call.

I had someone else's bull here, they came and retrieved him within 2 hours of my calling them. Had a heifer here (same guy whose bull was here) and he returned my call within 2 hours and he and I agreed & arranged for him to get her 2 weeks later.

Had a horse show up here, it took 3 days for anyone to respond. It took another week for the owner to come and get it, several days past the time when he said he would come for it.
Always heard horse folks are hard to deal with.

:cboy: Brute, if your stud bull looks like some of the ones posted on here I might ask if it would be all right for me to leave those cows at your place 48 hours and then pick them up. I would of course pay for any hay or feed you were out. I would only do that if it wasn't an inconvenience for you or your stud bull...

Luckily our cattle are in a different pasture and did not get mixed.

Guess I'm just kind of down on people as a whole. My neighbors in town block my drive way, park in the yard, barking dogs, then this... it seen like people as a whole are just lazy or stupid.

Brute 23":3q0w7hja said:

Guess I'm just kind of down on people as a whole. My neighbors in town block my drive way, park in the yard, barking dogs, then this... it seen like people as a whole are just lazy or stupid.

Many people, these days, are incredibly inconsiderate and have no manners. Their attitude is one of being all about themselves.

Workinonit Farm":8yaee6zv said:
Brute 23":8yaee6zv said:

Many people, these days, are incredibly inconsiderate and have no manners. Their attitude is one of being all about themselves.

That's a better way to describe it.

I actually have family that won't talk to us right now because they were asked not to bring their dog in to a family owned home. :???: I was was shocked that had to be said out loud... much less that it would cause issues.

My battle is a lot of people say... don't worry about that stuff... it's not a big deal... etc... but at what point are you just as bad for allowing it and not speaking up?

Brute 23":261n1wb8 said:

I happen to know the guy is not out of town but even so, I would think a person would call and say... I'm out of town, as soon as Im back I will be there.

I know this won't be popular, but as far as I am concerned that is 2 days past a trip to the market.

melking":1j3rr3cu said:
Brute 23":1j3rr3cu said:

I know this won't be popular, but as far as I am concerned that is 2 days past a trip to the market.

In Texas that's a jail term for rustling.
If the owner doesn't get it only the Sheriff can remove an estray.
Texas has some very strict estray laws and remedies.

I would say a couple of days weather permitting. I did keep a couple of my neighbors three weeks one winter till the snow melted enough to get a truck to my pens.

A guy down the road had a similar problem with a neighbor. He had the neighbor's scrub bull get into his place. He caught it in his corral and called the neighbor. After about a week he called and told the neighbor that if he wasn't there in about 30 minutes that he would open the gate and send the bull down the road. It took the neighbor about 15 minutes to show up with a trailer.