Rear hooves knuckling under

Help Support CattleToday:

khfarms2000

Reaction score
I have a 1 day old calve that the rear hooves are knuckling under, When born the front and rear hooves knulked under. Is there anything I can do to help stop this.

Not a rare condition with new babies. The problem will normally correct itself in a few days. If it goes on much longer, or if you are concerned, you can splint the joint. Either way, I bet he will be running around fine in a week, at most. Congratulations on your new calf.

Last summer I had a heifer calf born like that, rear ankles only. I massaged them several times a day, trying to make them more flexable. Within a week the calf could run and play. I was going to cull the heifer but have kept her because of other factors. I am going to watch her and her offspring for a long time to make sure there are no hereitary components involved. Other factors could be nutritional or positional while in the womb.

Hawk said:
Not a rare condition with new babies. The problem will normally correct itself in a few days. If it goes on much longer, or if you are concerned, you can splint the joint. Either way, I bet he will be running around fine in a week, at most. Congratulations on your new calf.

Any suggestions on how to splint?

You can buy ready made splints at Valley Vet Supply: http://www.valleyvet.com/ . Someone else on the board previously suggested using a short piece of PVC pipe, split lengthwise. Be sure to pad the calf's leg with cotton or some similar material under the splint. The splint can be held on with tape or an ace type bandage. Be careful not to get it too tight. Best of luck.

I would just leave it be, caused by tight tendons, they will stretch out in 5 to 7 days. common in calves and foals.
Hillbilly

Latest posts