• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Really stupid.

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
Where is that "The dumbest thing you ever did" thread?

I loaded a 850 pound steer and brought it home yesterday. There were three lightweight heifers still here at the house that I had been creeping since buying them in August. They were loaded and hauled back down. It was dark when I got back with the heifers. I dumped some cubes to call the cows in before unloading the heifers.

Last Tuesday my favorite cow calved with a heifer. When the cows came in last night, a new born heifer was hanging with a brangus bawling away. My favorite cow was on the other end of the cube line. I couldn't figure out why she didn't come get that calf. That calf kept bawling and bawling. So I grabbed the calf by the tail and ear and started dragging it to what I thought was momma. The next thing I know I caught a foot in the gut and I am hitting the ground.

I got against the back fender and saw the brangus nudging that calf. Then I look at the far end and see my favorite cow standing getting nursed by her calf. That is when reality finally set in. #34 calved yesterday. When she was palpated last summer they were 6 weeks off. Last year she calved February 14.

bigbull338

Reaction score
always watch the cows an calves.an never grabb a calf like you did.unless your sure about the cow.i never get crazy with cows unless i know what im doing.an could protect myself.but we all do crazy things around an with cows.

hillsdown

Reaction score
Glad your OK boogie, probably not the smartest thing you've ever done, especially with those "maternal" brangus mommas :lol: .

Oh well, we all have our dumb dumb moments the key is to live to tell about them.. :nod:

Congrats on the new babies..

Red Bull Breeder

Reaction score
Well Boogie that not the best way to figure out who momma is, but sounds like it works pretty good. :p Glad you ain't hurt other your pride.

Jogeephus

Reaction score
hillsdown":3cez53y1 said:
Glad your OK boogie, probably not the smartest thing you've ever done, especially with those "maternal" brangus mommas :lol: .

Oh well, we all have our dumb dumb moments the key is to live to tell about them.. :nod:

Congrats on the new babies..

Glad you are OK. But being you got those docile Branguseseseses, I'm sure that was merely a love tap. ;-) :lol2:

rattler

Reaction score
Well boogie i to have learned a few lessons the hard way and they ain't soon forgot.Glad you are ok.

rattler

Latest posts