Really strange question, but...

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I'm really curious so I'm asking. :lol2: I was at a small-town restaurant recently and they had "Rocky Mountain Oysters" on the menu. Where do they come from? Do slaughterhouses box them up and sell them? Do large ranches have a side business of raising bull calves partially for these restaurants, or....?

Told you it was a strange question. :p

Up here Bill Rocky Mountain Oysters are either calf or bull nuts.
I know a small butcher shop around here will get them for you if you order them. they get called out for an injuried bull and will get some that way.

Calf fries ,prairie oysters ,RM P oysters (some even call them lamb fries) all can be calf of bull depending on your region..I guess you can tell by the size of them.. ;-)

So MM did you try them ??????? :lol2: :p

If we cut one, the dogs usually get them.. ;-)

Something I found interesting. When we cut a calf or a buckling we threw the nuts to the pigs and they gobbled them right up. When we cut a pig and threw the nuts to the pigs they would sniff them but never ate them.

dun":2qg6onya said:
Something I found interesting. When we cut a calf or a buckling we threw the nuts to the pigs and they gobbled them right up. When we cut a pig and threw the nuts to the pigs they would sniff them but never ate them.

Then pigs aren't cannibals...simple enough.... :lol2: or not... :???:

Alice

hillsdown":2igrtf7p said:

:lol2: Nope... not sure I want to, either. Somehow the idea of eating testicles just doesn't appeal to me. :p

milkmaid":6kdf6qut said:
hillsdown":6kdf6qut said:

:lol2: Nope... not sure I want to, either. Somehow the idea of eating testicles just doesn't appeal to me. :p

They are actually pretty darned good if you can get past the knowledge of where they came from. I used to love them, but then I grew up and discovered where they came from. I was completely unsuccessful in getting past that realization, and never ate them again.

msscamp":21m8e9ov said:
milkmaid":21m8e9ov said:
hillsdown":21m8e9ov said:

They are actually pretty darned good if you can get past the knowledge of where they came from. I used to love them, but then I grew up and discovered where they came from. I was completely unsuccessful in getting past that realization, and never ate them again.
And yet, people eat eggs!

chrisy":5tb9oy7t said:
Yea but eggs come in a shell that you peel off. Not quite the same thing or thought process behind them. :? :???:

Yes, but its a poreous(sp) shell!

chrisy":28hmm9f0 said:
KNERSIE":28hmm9f0 said:
chrisy":28hmm9f0 said:
Yea but eggs come in a shell that you peel off. Not quite the same thing or thought process behind them. :? :???:

only inside the chicken, as water would get in when you boiled it.

Not if its in an aqeous equilibrium. :shock:

chrisy":3mx5op0t said:
KNERSIE":3mx5op0t said:
chrisy":3mx5op0t said:

only inside the chicken, as water would get in when you boiled it.

The shell is still prous after it's passed through the chicken and is sitting in hte package in the frig.

chrisy":2lmufbj2 said:
Nuts have a little furry sack you peel off.

milkmaid":1yigvx02 said:
I'm really curious so I'm asking. :lol2: I was at a small-town restaurant recently and they had "Rocky Mountain Oysters" on the menu. Where do they come from? Do slaughterhouses box them up and sell them? Do large ranches have a side business of raising bull calves partially for these restaurants, or....?

Told you it was a strange question. :p
Yes they are processed at USDA Federally inspected slaughter plants. Local Grocer gets them direct from a bull plant they will slice them for you, or they can come pre sliced, or still with the tough skin like sac around them. :D

Latest posts