Really need some help here - Vicky???

Help Support CattleToday:

[
i]Ok, back to the navel. Soak it with warm water and epsom salts. If you happen to have a hernia and blithely lance it, you've just killed the calf. Soaking it will open it up to drain better then you can manually open it up a bit more.

Hello-

I have some late questions to this discussion as I am having the same issue with a calf. Could you tell me what exactly the epsom salts do - take down infection or promote draining - or both/neither

How do you (manually open it up a bit more?)

Sorry if I am repeating some questions already answered here. Just learning to get around this board.

Thanks-[/i]

Bucky":2h4gcuuq said:
[
i]Ok, back to the navel. Soak it with warm water and epsom salts. If you happen to have a hernia and blithely lance it, you've just killed the calf. Soaking it will open it up to drain better then you can manually open it up a bit more.

Hello-

I have some late questions to this discussion as I am having the same issue with a calf. Could you tell me what exactly the epsom salts do - take down infection or promote draining - or both/neither

How do you (manually open it up a bit more?)

Sorry if I am repeating some questions already answered here. Just learning to get around this board.

Thanks-[/i]

No problem. Epsom salts draw infection and impurities out. The bag or box will have directions as to how to mix it with warm water, I think it's 1/2 cup/quart, but my memory fails often these days. As it sounds like you're new to cattle, I would not recommend trying to manually open the area because, as already stated, it is possible to kill the calf that way. I would suggest calling your vet.

milkmaid.
Had a naval infection a couple years ago...soaking works. We used a 2" deep small plastic pain...oh....12"x12" using real warm water with a towel in it and ran a bungie cord over the calf and hooked on each side...that held the pan right up and over the swollen infection/area. Mad the job a lot easier. We left it on for a good twenty minutes 3x daily. Had him in the head catcher...they may be a little restless at the beginning. If he is eating grain...give him a sweet feed treat..keep him calmer.

Milkmaid,
If you are worried about the navel getting more infected because it is coming into the contact with the ground safety pin a bath towel around the middle of the calf loosely. Actually, if you can get some snaps and put them on a towel it works even better. That way the air can still get to the area but it will keep it clean, make sure to change the towels often.
My dog had a nasty injury this year and my vet suggested it to keep her sore clean. He told me he suggests it for navel infections and it works well so it would work on my dog. It did.:)
Wish you and your calf the best of luck.

Latest posts